why use rails-i18n gem and localizations

why use rails-i18n gem and localizations

fugee ohu
I'm using the rails-i18n gemĀ  and one of the locales I'm using is zh-TW If I take the gem out of my gemfile and rename the locale file to just zh.yml instead of it's previous name zh-TW.yml and change the first line from zh-TW: to zh: I can then use the short locale names in application.rb without the gem complaining the locale isn't valid?