using jruby via scite

marc-16
Hi,

I'd like to use JRuby from scite, but can't get it working.

I tried changing the following line in ruby.properties

  command.go.*.rb=ruby $(FileNameExt)

but scite returns

  >jruby javafromruby.rb
  >The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Re: using jruby via scite

Charles Oliver Nutter-2
marc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use JRuby from scite, but can't get it working.
>
> I tried changing the following line in ruby.properties
>
>   command.go.*.rb=ruby $(FileNameExt)
>
> but scite returns
>
>   >jruby javafromruby.rb
>   >The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure jruby can be run from any arbitrary command prompt; I would
guess it's not in the PATH that scite ends up using to locate the
command. Perhaps you could also fully-qualify the path?

- Charlie

Re: using jruby via scite

marc-16
Charles Oliver Nutter said...

> marc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to use JRuby from scite, but can't get it working.
> >
> > I tried changing the following line in ruby.properties
> >
> >   command.go.*.rb=ruby $(FileNameExt)
> >
> > but scite returns
> >
> >   >jruby javafromruby.rb
> >   >The system cannot find the file specified.
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Make sure jruby can be run from any arbitrary command prompt

Yup, I'd be sunk without that; running scripts all over the shop, as I
do.

> I would
> guess it's not in the PATH that scite ends up using to locate the
> command.

Looks that way. Dunno why, though.

> Perhaps you could also fully-qualify the path?

Good call. Now I get:

  >D:\jruby\bin\jruby deleteme.rb
  >%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Clearly, this isn't on one of my Linux boxes. I've no idea where the %1
comes from.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Re: using jruby via scite

Charles Oliver Nutter-2
marc wrote:
> Good call. Now I get:
>
>   >D:\jruby\bin\jruby deleteme.rb
>   >%1 is not a valid Win32 application.
>
> Clearly, this isn't on one of my Linux boxes. I've no idea where the %1
> comes from.

Bleh, Windows. Can you change it to jruby.bat and see if that helps?

There may simply be an issue calling a batch file this way though.

- Charlie

Re: using jruby via scite

marc-16
Charles Oliver Nutter said...

> marc wrote:
> > Good call. Now I get:
> >
> >   >D:\jruby\bin\jruby deleteme.rb
> >   >%1 is not a valid Win32 application.
> >
> > Clearly, this isn't on one of my Linux boxes. I've no idea where the %1
> > comes from.
>
> Bleh, Windows.

I know, but I'm trying to get jruby in to work where the "standard" is
Windows. Fortunately, I'm in a position to change such things, but show
is better than tell.

> Can you change it to jruby.bat and see if that helps?

It worked! Which was a bit of a surprise.

So the fix, for the record, is to change scite's 'ruby.properties' (via
Options/Open ruby.properties) to:

  if PLAT_WIN
    command.go.*.rb=d:\jruby\bin\jruby.bat $(FileNameExt)

with the obvious location change, if necessary.

Thanks, Charlie.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Re: using jruby via scite

Douglas
You didn't have to be that explicit if jruby was on your path like Charles stated.
command.go.*.rb=jruby $(FileNameExt)
and comment out
#command.go.*.rb=ruby $(FileNameExt)
works just the same.