subscriber mailing lists for blog users

fugee ohu
I wanna let me bloggers create subscriber lists and send bulk emails so i wanna use a service like mailchimp but i don't wanna have to iterate through the users mailing lists to send each mail, rather i want my server to communicate with mailchimp once, giving it the list What type of mailchimp setup would that be, does it have a name?

Re: subscriber mailing lists for blog users

Hassan Schroeder-2
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wanna let me bloggers create subscriber lists and send bulk emails so i
> wanna use a service like mailchimp but i don't wanna have to iterate through
> the users mailing lists to send each mail, rather i want my server to
> communicate with mailchimp once, giving it the list What type of mailchimp
> setup would that be, does it have a name?

Yes, it's called "MailChimp"  😀

That's what MailChimp is about -- you create your subscriber list
*on their system* and tell MC to initiate bulk email sendings via
their API.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM, fugee ohu <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="hJhuElUxAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">fuge...@...> wrote:

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="hJhuElUxAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">hassan.s...@...

Thanks Hassan I actually get a bad feeling about  sharing all those email addresses with mailchimp Maybe it would be better to setup a new domain and vps mail server dedicated to my site's blog user's mailing lists, this way if the server gets blacklisted I can just create a new one If users invite subscribers and then send them bulk email it's not necessarily a gateway for spammers How would a spammer take advantage of something like that and why would they bother

Re: subscriber mailing lists for blog users

Walter Lee Davis

> On Mar 1, 2018, at 12:01 AM, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:02:00 PM UTC-5, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I wanna let me bloggers create subscriber lists and send bulk emails so i
> > wanna use a service like mailchimp but i don't wanna have to iterate through
> > the users mailing lists to send each mail, rather i want my server to
> > communicate with mailchimp once, giving it the list What type of mailchimp
> > setup would that be, does it have a name?
>
> Yes, it's called "MailChimp"  😀
>
> That's what MailChimp is about -- you create your subscriber list
> *on their system* and tell MC to initiate bulk email sendings via
> their API.
>
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [hidden email]
> twitter: @hassan
> Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote
>
> Thanks Hassan I actually get a bad feeling about  sharing all those email addresses with mailchimp Maybe it would be better to setup a new domain and vps mail server dedicated to my site's blog user's mailing lists, this way if the server gets blacklisted I can just create a new one If users invite subscribers and then send them bulk email it's not necessarily a gateway for spammers How would a spammer take advantage of something like that and why would they bother

MailChimp make their living by being above-board, and they stay off the perma-ban spam lists by not being spammy. It's a full-time job to run your own mail-out service, to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is. I recommend outsourcing this part -- it's genuinely difficult. Spammers won't necessarily take advantage of your mail-out or MailChimp, what will happen is that you will do something that is inadvertently perceived by all the varied spam filters out there as being spam, and then you will be blacklisted. It won't matter if you move servers then, because the mail will still come from your domain, and it's the domain that gets blacklisted. MailChimp (and other similar services) work hard to ensure that your messages get through. They do this not through any trickery, but by following the rules and restricting what kinds of messages you are able to send with their server. Remember, it's their livelihood (not just yours) that would be messed with, so they are strict.

Walter

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:14 AM, Walter Lee Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Thanks Hassan I actually get a bad feeling about  sharing all those email addresses with mailchimp Maybe it would be better

No.

> MailChimp make their living by being above-board, and they stay off the perma-ban spam lists by not being spammy. It's a full-time job to run your own mail-out service, to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is. I recommend outsourcing this part -- it's genuinely difficult.

+100

You really do not want to try to recreate any part of this yourself,
considering "any part" includes things like removing addresses
on bounces, managing unsubscribe requests, etc. etc.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:14 AM, Walter Lee Davis <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="8suHx0ljAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">wa...@...> wrote:

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="8suHx0ljAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">hassan.s...@...

>> ... not being spammy
if bloggers invite subscribers and then send them a newsletter where does spam become invovled

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 8:15:27 AM UTC-5, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2018, at 12:01 AM, fugee ohu <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="TTqqdaFcAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">fuge...@...> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:02:00 PM UTC-5, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I wanna let me bloggers create subscriber lists and send bulk emails so i
> > wanna use a service like mailchimp but i don't wanna have to iterate through
> > the users mailing lists to send each mail, rather i want my server to
> > communicate with mailchimp once, giving it the list What type of mailchimp
> > setup would that be, does it have a name?
>
> Yes, it's called "MailChimp"  😀
>
> That's what MailChimp is about -- you create your subscriber list
> *on their system* and tell MC to initiate bulk email sendings via
> their API.
>
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [hidden email]
> twitter: @hassan
> Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote
>
> Thanks Hassan I actually get a bad feeling about  sharing all those email addresses with mailchimp Maybe it would be better to setup a new domain and vps mail server dedicated to my site's blog user's mailing lists, this way if the server gets blacklisted I can just create a new one If users invite subscribers and then send them bulk email it's not necessarily a gateway for spammers How would a spammer take advantage of something like that and why would they bother

MailChimp make their living by being above-board, and they stay off the perma-ban spam lists by not being spammy. It's a full-time job to run your own mail-out service, to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is. I recommend outsourcing this part -- it's genuinely difficult. Spammers won't necessarily take advantage of your mail-out or MailChimp, what will happen is that you will do something that is inadvertently perceived by all the varied spam filters out there as being spam, and then you will be blacklisted. It won't matter if you move servers then, because the mail will still come from your domain, and it's the domain that gets blacklisted. MailChimp (and other similar services) work hard to ensure that your messages get through. They do this not through any trickery, but by following the rules and restricting what kinds of messages you are able to send with their server. Remember, it's their livelihood (not just yours) that would be messed with, so they are strict.

Walter

If I let bloggers send bulk emails to their subscribers, then you're saying I should expect to have some spammers posing as bloggers, or bloggers can be spammers too?

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 12:14 AM, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I let bloggers send bulk emails to their subscribers, then

Then, at least in the US, you have legal obligations.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

If non-US, you should probably check the law where you're doing
business and/or where your customers live.