ruby vs jruby

Alex jimmy Montaño fuentes
Hi friends,

what is advantages in JRuby?

Thanks
K2B Solutions

Re: ruby vs jruby

Gerald Bauer-2
Hello,
   It depends. What are you trying to do? Cheers.

Re: ruby vs jruby

Ariel Valentin
There are a lot of articles/posts discussing that very topic.
Take a look here and follow some of the links described in the answer:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/151726

Thanks,
Ariel
---
Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse any errors.

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 4:53 AM, Gerald Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>   It depends. What are you trying to do? Cheers.

Re: ruby vs jruby

Alex jimmy Montaño fuentes
I think the right answer is that jruby alows us to have diversity and
flexibilty to use java libs and take the high performance of
multhreading and use some resources like java web servers like Tomcat
and the VirtualMachine etc.

Re: ruby vs jruby

Alex jimmy Montaño fuentes
Hi Cristiano D,

Thanks for sharing the information.
what is the difference in ruby and jruby?

Re: ruby vs jruby

Karol Bucek

 We can not answer this question without knowing what you're "really" looking for.

In general, for Ruby-ists used to MRI the "main" difference is GIL-free multi-threading (Ruby code can actually run in parallel utilizing your CPU cores).

It's similar to Rubinius (also GIL-free) and is probably something that from time-to-time confuses Ruby developers if they have little experience with concurrency.
This is usually not something you need to worry about (as popular gems are thread-safe), but you might hit it eventually e.g. with web applications in your own user code.

Unlike Rubinius however, JRuby does not support MRI style C-extension gems, luckily most popular ones have alternatives or versions using Java-extension.

The most notable difference you'll notice when trying JRuby out is that it's slower to start, however with a few tricks (jruby --dev) it's not that bad once you're using it for a while.

... all that being said JRuby is just Ruby and you can use it just like MRI.

Good JLuck, K.