ruby clean up

Joe Guerra
I have several versions of ruby on my mac, I don't know why I would need them.  But, how would I go about removing previously installed versions?  I'm up to Ruby 2.5 now.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: ruby clean up

Hassan Schroeder-2
On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 7:50 AM, Joe Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have several versions of ruby on my mac, I don't know why I would need
> them.

You might need multiple versions because you have legacy code
to maintain, or just like to experiment with rubies other than MRI.

> But, how would I go about removing previously installed versions?

That depends on how you installed them :-)

Re: ruby clean up

Joe Guerra
I used homebrew to install ruby.

I guess I have to install rails on top of each version too.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Joe Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't have any legacy code.  Just trying to learn this stuff.

But chances are at some point you'll run into opportunities/need to
work on other people's legacy code at least. :-)

I would strongly recommend a version manager like rvm or rbenv
regardless. If nothing else it facilitates upgrade testing.

Re: ruby clean up

Joe Guerra
I don't think so.   No luck so far.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Joe Guerra <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="cY47-Z8QAgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">JGu...@...> wrote:

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="cY47-Z8QAgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">hassan.s...@...

Re: ruby clean up

Hassan Schroeder-2
On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Joe Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think so.   No luck so far.

>> But chances are at some point you'll run into opportunities/need to
>> work on other people's legacy code at least. :-)

But "so far" doesn't negate the above point. And you'll be way better
off if you're comfortable with e.g. rvm or rbenv or asdf for managing
your development environments.

Re: ruby clean up

Andre Joseph Cubeta
Better use version managers like RVM or Rbenv

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 8:09 AM, Hassan Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Joe Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think so.   No luck so far.

>> But chances are at some point you'll run into opportunities/need to
>> work on other people's legacy code at least. :-)

But "so far" doesn't negate the above point. And you'll be way better
off if you're comfortable with e.g. rvm or rbenv or asdf for managing
your development environments.

Re: ruby clean up

Frederick Cheung-2
On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 5:36:22 PM UTC+2, Joe Guerra wrote:
> I used homebrew to install ruby.

To remove old Homebrew formulae, see the cleanup section from https://docs.brew.sh/FAQ

Fred