no method for nill class

fugee ohu
In the snippet below,the last line causes the error; :showdate is whitelisted, it's components appear just in the params list returned by the browser The error's at the plus sign but not sure which of them

    @showday = params["showdate(3i)"]
    showmonth_string = params["showdate(2i)"]
    @showmonth = Date::MONTHNAMES[showmonth_string.to_i]
    @showyear = params["showdate(1i)"]
    @showdate = @showmonth + " " + @showday + ", " + @showyear

Re: no method for nill class

Colin Law
On 21 April 2017 at 00:30, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the snippet below,the last line causes the error; :showdate is
> whitelisted, it's components appear just in the params list returned by the
> browser The error's at the plus sign but not sure which of them
>
>     @showday = params["showdate(3i)"]
>     showmonth_string = params["showdate(2i)"]
>     @showmonth = Date::MONTHNAMES[showmonth_string.to_i]
>     @showyear = params["showdate(1i)"]
>     @showdate = @showmonth + " " + @showday + ", " + @showyear

As I believe I have suggested to you before, first level simple
debugging can be done using logger.info, so in this case if you insert
before the last line something like

logger.info "Show date: #{@showmonth}, #{@showday}, #{@showyear}"

then you will see in the terminal what values those variables have.

Colin

Re: no method for nill class

Mugurel Chirica
Another very good option is to learn to use a debugger (that can help you a lot until you learn Ruby / Rails better, but it can be useful then as well), is to have a look at Pry https://github.com/deivid-rodriguez/pry-byebug or for ruby 1.9.3 https://github.com/nixme/pry-debugger.

You will need maybe 1-2 hours to set it up and learn to use it, but after that you will get answer to questions like the above in a few seconds or minutes depending on the problem.

Cheers

Re: no method for nill class

Colin Law
On 21 April 2017 at 10:22, Mugurel Chirica <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another very good option is to learn to use a debugger (that can help you a
> lot until you learn Ruby / Rails better, but it can be useful then as well),
> is to have a look at Pry https://github.com/deivid-rodriguez/pry-byebug or
> for ruby 1.9.3 https://github.com/nixme/pry-debugger.

+1 to that.

Colin

Re: no method for nill class

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 2:22 AM, Mugurel Chirica
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another very good option is to learn to use a debugger

Another +1 for Pry -- absolutely an essential tool.