new rails-based cms is born.

Rene Paulokat

hallo,
i would heavily like to get some feedback on our rails-based cms:
rcms.oopen.de

so, if some could find the time an try it i'd be pleased..

greetings
rene

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Rene Paulokat wrote:

> hallo,
> i would heavily like to get some feedback on our rails-based cms:
> rcms.oopen.de
>
> so, if some could find the time an try it i'd be pleased..
>
> greetings
> rene

Rene-

        Wow, this looks like a very extensive project. i will install it and
give you some feedback.

Cheers-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
[hidden email]
509-577-7732

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Binu Dasappan
Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Rene Paulokat wrote:
>

>> hallo,
>> i would heavily like to get some feedback on our rails-based cms:
>> rcms.oopen.de
>>
>> so, if some could find the time an try it i'd be pleased..
>>
>> greetings
>> rene
>
> Rene-
>
> Wow, this looks like a very extensive project. i will install it and
> give you some feedback.
>
> Cheers-
>
> -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
> WebMaster
> Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
> [hidden email]
> 509-577-7732

Rene,

I would like to evaluate this, do you have some screenshots of this
application ?

Thanks
Binu

Re: Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Rene Paulokat
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 06:36:49AM +0100, Binu Dasappan wrote:
> Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Rene Paulokat wrote:

(feedback for)
> >> rcms.oopen.de
>
> Rene,
>
> I would like to evaluate this, do you have some screenshots of this
> application ?

right - i'll arrange some more visible impressions today.

thanks
rene

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:20:46PM +0100, Rene Paulokat wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 06:36:49AM +0100, Binu Dasappan wrote:
> > Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> > > On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Rene Paulokat wrote:
> > >
> (feedback for)
> >
> > Rene,
> >
> > I would like to evaluate this, do you have some screenshots of this
> > application ?
>
> right - i'll arrange some more visible impressions today.

done;
see: http://rcms.oopen.de/About/Screenshots

greetings
rene

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Julian Tarkhanov-2

On 17-dec-2005, at 5:07, Rene Paulokat wrote:

> hallo,
> i would heavily like to get some feedback on our rails-based cms:
> rcms.oopen.de
>
> so, if some could find the time an try it i'd be pleased..

Rene. I'm curious - what are the use cases of this CMS?
What kind of sites is it designed for? What kind of management
interface it provides? For what user groups (or companies) has it
been designed? What is the expected format the site should be created
in?

This is not an attempt to flame anyone, would you just take some care
to explain not the "bulleted feature list", but the intentions and
the concept of the system? After that you might not only get users,
but contributors!

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Rene Paulokat
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 07:20:29PM +0100, Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov wrote:
(...)

> Rene. I'm curious - what are the use cases of this CMS?
> What kind of sites is it designed for? What kind of management
> interface it provides? For what user groups (or companies) has it
> been designed? What is the expected format the site should be created
> in?

well, - the idea behind our attempt to create this application,
(others might say *another cms*) was: we (i'm engaged in a non-profit
community-oriented small isp 'so36.net') always wanted a lightweight
cms to offer to our users. we often didnt like/trust existing php'ish
ones and also didnt have the ressources to run many systems on e.g.
java-servlets.
these are some pragmatic reasons.

furthermore we are mainly involved with, ore coop with environmental-,
ngo-like structures, so this makes up the focus of 'rcms' - a text-oriented
publishing system, which  empowers unexperienced users/organisations to
concentrate on content-production whilest not beeing forced into beefing
up their html-skills or buying in professionals they often cant afford.
so it seems as if ruby/rails, because of its potential clean structure and
redcloth/textile for its ease of use do make up a good base to build up on.

hope this short version answeres some of your questions.

kind regerds
rene

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Emmanuel Mwangi
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov wrote:

> On 17-dec-2005, at 5:07, Rene Paulokat wrote:
>

>> hallo,
>> i would heavily like to get some feedback on our rails-based cms:
>> rcms.oopen.de
>>
>> so, if some could find the time an try it i'd be pleased..
>

> Rene. I'm curious - what are the use cases of this CMS?
> What kind of sites is it designed for? What kind of management
> interface it provides? For what user groups (or companies) has it
> been designed? What is the expected format the site should be created
> in?
>
> This is not an attempt to flame anyone, would you just take some care
> to explain not the "bulleted feature list", but the intentions and
> the concept of the system? After that you might not only get users,
> but contributors!
Yes.  I'm looking for a CMS that does less modules/files/images and more
general pages.  Something that can update pages like a blog but, would
have far more flexability when it comes to content types.  Something
between a full-blown CMS like Mambo/PHP-Nuke and something more minimal
like a bare framework.

I need something that will make writing simple corporate websites
easier.  Most of the work involved in that would be the Information
Architecture; menus, copy approval/corrections, linking and context and
easy flexible ways of skinning/templating the pages.  My ideal would
even be to have a standard way of templating/skinning so that we could
train a designer how to do it once and they wouldn't have to relearn
syntax and file management for every project.

While I keep looking for things (and I would love if this was all done
in Rails) I'm coming closer and closer to just writing it myself.

--
Emmanuel Mwangi - Director of Web Development
Mustang Networking

Ph: (562) 508-3388
Fax: (909) 972-9720
www.mustnet.us

emwangi.vcf (332 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Bugzilla from nicholas.stuart@gmail.com
Just go ahead and write it yourself. :)   I was in much the same
position as you are when it came to looking for a pseudo CMS. I didn't
need all the bells and whistles a lot of the current solutions offer.
I needed something that could:
*Edit chunks of code(html) with a WYSIWYG editor (used tiny_mce in my case)
*Be able to break things down into pretty urls with what appear to
seperate directory when in fact almost all the pages work off the same
template
*Upload and maintain static assets (pdfs, swfs, etc)
*Searchable contents for both assets and the pages themselves.
*Have things like news events and such that can be posted/displayed/edit

*Be easy to run from non-techy side (marketing folk in charge of all
the content).

Along with this standard CMS stuff we also have the need for user
registration, and will eventually have a more interactive section of
the site that will done in rails (currently in java/tapestry).

I am the sole developer on this project, and while I've had plenty of
java web stuff under the belt, was new to rails. Even with that its
only taken a little over a month to get the fundation laid, and we are
almost ready to go live. Actually waiting more on the content side
then the backend side, but I'm still refining and cleaning stuff up as
I always will be.

-Nick

p.s. Performance wise I haven't done anything with caching yet or the
like, I'm going to wait to see if we actually need it as the current
site does not come under heavy loads.

On 12/19/05, Emmanuel Mwangi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While I keep looking for things (and I would love if this was all done
> in Rails) I'm coming closer and closer to just writing it myself.
>
> --
> Emmanuel Mwangi - Director of Web Development
> Mustang Networking
>
> Ph: (562) 508-3388
> Fax: (909) 972-9720
> www.mustnet.us

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Steve Ross-5
What are you using for a search engine? also does anyone know of anything that will index the contents of word & pdf documents?

On 12/19/05, Nick Stuart <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just go ahead and write it yourself. :)   I was in much the same
position as you are when it came to looking for a pseudo CMS. I didn't
need all the bells and whistles a lot of the current solutions offer.
I needed something that could:
*Edit chunks of code(html) with a WYSIWYG editor (used tiny_mce in my case)
*Be able to break things down into pretty urls with what appear to
seperate directory when in fact almost all the pages work off the same
template
*Upload and maintain static assets (pdfs, swfs, etc)
*Searchable contents for both assets and the pages themselves.
*Have things like news events and such that can be posted/displayed/edit

*Be easy to run from non-techy side (marketing folk in charge of all
the content).

Along with this standard CMS stuff we also have the need for user
registration, and will eventually have a more interactive section of
the site that will done in rails (currently in java/tapestry).

I am the sole developer on this project, and while I've had plenty of
java web stuff under the belt, was new to rails. Even with that its
only taken a little over a month to get the fundation laid, and we are
almost ready to go live. Actually waiting more on the content side
then the backend side, but I'm still refining and cleaning stuff up as
I always will be.

-Nick

p.s. Performance wise I haven't done anything with caching yet or the
like, I'm going to wait to see if we actually need it as the current
site does not come under heavy loads.

On 12/19/05, Emmanuel Mwangi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While I keep looking for things (and I would love if this was all done
> in Rails) I'm coming closer and closer to just writing it myself.
>
> --
> Emmanuel Mwangi - Director of Web Development
> Mustang Networking
>
> Ph: (562) 508-3388
> Fax: (909) 972-9720
> www.mustnet.us

Steven Ross
web application & interface developer
http://www.zerium.com
[phone] 404-488-4364

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Bugzilla from nicholas.stuart@gmail.com
I'm using a combination of ferret and java Lucene (which are like
brothers to each other). The reason I have to use java at all is
because I need (like you it appears) to have a way to index PDF files.

There currently aren't any good PDF readers out there in Ruby land
that I could find, so I used a java library called PDFBox which works
fine for my needs.

I do use ferret to index all the managed content (pages/etc), while
Lucene indexs all the pdfs and other static contents. One problem
though is that ferret is having a rough time trying to search my
lucene generated index, although it was working before. (already
emailed david about this)

-Nick

On 12/19/05, Steven Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are you using for a search engine? also does anyone know of anything
> that will index the contents of word & pdf documents?
>

> On 12/19/05, Nick Stuart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Just go ahead and write it yourself. :)   I was in much the same
> > position as you are when it came to looking for a pseudo CMS. I didn't
> > need all the bells and whistles a lot of the current solutions offer.
> > I needed something that could:
> > *Edit chunks of code(html) with a WYSIWYG editor (used tiny_mce in my
> case)
> > *Be able to break things down into pretty urls with what appear to
> > seperate directory when in fact almost all the pages work off the same
> > template
> > *Upload and maintain static assets (pdfs, swfs, etc)
> > *Searchable contents for both assets and the pages themselves.
> > *Have things like news events and such that can be posted/displayed/edit
> >
> > *Be easy to run from non-techy side (marketing folk in charge of all
> > the content).
> >
> > Along with this standard CMS stuff we also have the need for user
> > registration, and will eventually have a more interactive section of
> > the site that will done in rails (currently in java/tapestry).
> >
> > I am the sole developer on this project, and while I've had plenty of
> > java web stuff under the belt, was new to rails. Even with that its
> > only taken a little over a month to get the fundation laid, and we are
> > almost ready to go live. Actually waiting more on the content side
> > then the backend side, but I'm still refining and cleaning stuff up as
> > I always will be.
> >
> > -Nick
> >
> > p.s. Performance wise I haven't done anything with caching yet or the
> > like, I'm going to wait to see if we actually need it as the current
> > site does not come under heavy loads.
> >
> > On 12/19/05, Emmanuel Mwangi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > While I keep looking for things (and I would love if this was all done
> > > in Rails) I'm coming closer and closer to just writing it myself.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Emmanuel Mwangi - Director of Web Development
> > > Mustang Networking
> > >
> > > Ph: (562) 508-3388
> > > Fax: (909) 972-9720
> > > www.mustnet.us

> Steven Ross
> web application & interface developer
> http://www.zerium.com
> [phone] 404-488-4364

Re: new rails-based cms is born.

Steve Ross-5
Hm, since we have a license of coldfusion (verity under the covers) I'm thinking of just using it and maybe use a webservice to run queries against it).

> [...]

> > I am the sole developer on this project, and while I've had plenty of
> > java web stuff under the belt, was new to rails. Even with that its
> > only taken a little over a month to get the fundation laid, and we are
> > almost ready to go live. Actually waiting more on the content side
> > then the backend side, but I'm still refining and cleaning stuff up as
> > I always will be.
> >
> > -Nick
> >
> > p.s. Performance wise I haven't done anything with caching yet or the
> > like, I'm going to wait to see if we actually need it as the current
> > site does not come under heavy loads.
> >
> > On 12/19/05, Emmanuel Mwangi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > While I keep looking for things (and I would love if this was all done
> > > in Rails) I'm coming closer and closer to just writing it myself.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Emmanuel Mwangi - Director of Web Development

search engine

Rubena Rub

I am new here and also new to rails. Looks VERY promising and I hope I
can get quickly deeper into it! Thank all you for this great work!

>What are you using for a search engine? also does anyone know of anything
>that will index the contents of word & pdf documents?

As an rails-newbie I can not tell you what would be the best search
engine for rails, but I have made VERY good experiences with swish-e
[1] - interfacing via perl API or PHP exec calls. I have not seen a
swish-e on rails yet, but if you are investigating a really fast and
feature-rich search engine, you should really check it out! Searches
seperate tags in xml-files too!

Of course I would be more than pleased too see a ruby module for
swish-e, as I love to use this totally under-estimated search engine
for any web stuff.

[1] http://www.swish-e.org/

Have anice day,
Rubena