master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Chad Woolley
Many things broken:

- does not create ~/.cruise
- Blew up reading my config file, so I couldn't even start a builder
- no longer runs on port 3333

Basically, master doesn't even work.

Is this gonna get fixed, or should we rollback this merge?

Thanks,
-- Chad

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Brian Guthrie-2
Chad,

I've resolved the port 3333 issue and a separate issue related to some
work I've been doing with the Projects class that may or may not be
related to what you're encountering. As for reading your config file,
I haven't seen a stack trace with that so I'd appreciate it if you'd
send it along. I haven't seen the issue with ~/.cruise either.

Frankly I hadn't expected that too many people would be trying to
build against HEAD as it's not stable. TW doesn't give me any paid
time to work on this thing either so I'm what I can in the spare hours
I have. Keep bringing issues up and I'll do my best to resolve them in
a timely manner. And to answer your question, not only do I not see
any particular reason to roll back the merge, I've pushed enough
additional work since then that it would seem at this point infeasible
to do so. Let me know if you feel strongly about it.

Brian

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Chad Woolley<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Many things broken:
>
> - does not create ~/.cruise
> - Blew up reading my config file, so I couldn't even start a builder
> - no longer runs on port 3333
>
> Basically, master doesn't even work.
>
> Is this gonna get fixed, or should we rollback this merge?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Chad

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Jeremy Lightsmith
Brian,

We definitely appreciate all the hard work you've been doing.  Thank you.

I did want to clarify one point though.  We have have set the expectation with our users that HEAD is a good, fairly stable place to point at.  We've told people to go to it if they wanted git support, or mercurial, for example.  And, with the ccrb team being so long between releases, many if not most people that use ccrb right now are using it from HEAD.  We've kept it pretty stable and tight for quite a while now, though granted we haven't made any huge changes in a while either.

It sound like from what you're saying, at this point it would be easier to go forward than back.  So, Chad, can we get those stack traces?  And, Brian, if you don't have time, as Chad gives us more info, or if it might be a few days before you do, can you let the list know so maybe one of us could look at it?

Again, this project has been barely alive for quite a while, and it's really great to see some new blood breathing life into it.  The team, and really,  the whole community, appreciate it,

Jeremy

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chad,

I've resolved the port 3333 issue and a separate issue related to some
work I've been doing with the Projects class that may or may not be
related to what you're encountering. As for reading your config file,
I haven't seen a stack trace with that so I'd appreciate it if you'd
send it along. I haven't seen the issue with ~/.cruise either.

Frankly I hadn't expected that too many people would be trying to
build against HEAD as it's not stable. TW doesn't give me any paid
time to work on this thing either so I'm what I can in the spare hours
I have. Keep bringing issues up and I'll do my best to resolve them in
a timely manner. And to answer your question, not only do I not see
any particular reason to roll back the merge, I've pushed enough
additional work since then that it would seem at this point infeasible
to do so. Let me know if you feel strongly about it.

Brian

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Chad Woolley<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many things broken:
>
> - does not create ~/.cruise
> - Blew up reading my config file, so I couldn't even start a builder
> - no longer runs on port 3333
>
> Basically, master doesn't even work.
>
> Is this gonna get fixed, or should we rollback this merge?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Chad

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Chad Woolley
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Jeremy
Lightsmith<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> We definitely appreciate all the hard work you've been doing.  Thank you.

Yep, thanks a lot.

> I did want to clarify one point though.  We have have set the expectation
> with our users that HEAD is a good, fairly stable place to point at.  We've
> told people to go to it if they wanted git support, or mercurial, for
> example.  And, with the ccrb team being so long between releases, many if
> not most people that use ccrb right now are using it from HEAD.  We've kept
> it pretty stable and tight for quite a while now, though granted we haven't
> made any huge changes in a while either.

Totally.  I run almost all my installations on the master branch, and
have various scripts automated to check out master.  I really want to
keep it solid.

Also, if the master branch isn't working for me, I can't run any
patches I am testing on live servers.

> It sound like from what you're saying, at this point it would be easier to
> go forward than back.  So, Chad, can we get those stack traces?  And, Brian,
> if you don't have time, as Chad gives us more info, or if it might be a few
> days before you do, can you let the list know so maybe one of us could look
> at it?

Yep, here they are.

* The ~/.cruise dir creation problem isn't happening anymore, I marked
that ticket as invalid and tagged not reproducible.

* The problem reading the config file (including stacktrace) is in
this ticket:  https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150/tickets/264-error-reading-site_configrb

* I also notice the -d (--daemon) option to ./cruise start no longer
works (server just dies).  I'd really like to see this fixed too,
because it breaks the init script (daemon/cruise) on my servers.
There used to be a bunch of hacked/pasted code in script/server which
is now gone.  I debugged it for a bit but couldn't find it, probably a
stack trace getting swallowed somewhere.  Here's the ticket for that
one:  https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150/tickets/265-cruise-start-no-longer-works-with-d-daemon-option

Let me know if you need any more info or help on these.

Thanks,
-- Chad

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Brian Guthrie-2
Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay in resolving these. I've just pushed fixes
for the site_config issue (Configuration was getting loaded at the
wrong spot) and the ports issue. I'd like to try avoiding modifying
Rails files directly if we can so as to avoid these upgrade issues in
the future, so I'm mutating ARGV in CruiseControl::Init in order to
accomplish this; if this is a terrible idea and there's a compelling
reason to do it by modifying Rails stuff directly, please let me know
and we can switch it over.

Many apologies for the broken HEAD on master. I'll try harder in the
future to resolve that state of affairs more quickly in the future.

Cheers,

Brian

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Chad Woolley<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Jeremy
> Lightsmith<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Brian,
>>
>> We definitely appreciate all the hard work you've been doing.  Thank you.
>
> Yep, thanks a lot.
>
>> I did want to clarify one point though.  We have have set the expectation
>> with our users that HEAD is a good, fairly stable place to point at.  We've
>> told people to go to it if they wanted git support, or mercurial, for
>> example.  And, with the ccrb team being so long between releases, many if
>> not most people that use ccrb right now are using it from HEAD.  We've kept
>> it pretty stable and tight for quite a while now, though granted we haven't
>> made any huge changes in a while either.
>
> Totally.  I run almost all my installations on the master branch, and
> have various scripts automated to check out master.  I really want to
> keep it solid.
>
> Also, if the master branch isn't working for me, I can't run any
> patches I am testing on live servers.
>
>> It sound like from what you're saying, at this point it would be easier to
>> go forward than back.  So, Chad, can we get those stack traces?  And, Brian,
>> if you don't have time, as Chad gives us more info, or if it might be a few
>> days before you do, can you let the list know so maybe one of us could look
>> at it?
>
> Yep, here they are.
>
> * The ~/.cruise dir creation problem isn't happening anymore, I marked
> that ticket as invalid and tagged not reproducible.
>
> * The problem reading the config file (including stacktrace) is in
> this ticket:  https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150/tickets/264-error-reading-site_configrb
>
> * I also notice the -d (--daemon) option to ./cruise start no longer
> works (server just dies).  I'd really like to see this fixed too,
> because it breaks the init script (daemon/cruise) on my servers.
> There used to be a bunch of hacked/pasted code in script/server which
> is now gone.  I debugged it for a bit but couldn't find it, probably a
> stack trace getting swallowed somewhere.  Here's the ticket for that
> one:  https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150/tickets/265-cruise-start-no-longer-works-with-d-daemon-option
>
> Let me know if you need any more info or help on these.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Chad

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Jeremy Lightsmith
Thanks, Brian,

Jeremy

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> that ticket as invalid and tagged not reproducible.
>
> * The problem reading the config file (including stacktrace) is in
> this ticket:  https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150/tickets/264-error-reading-site_configrb
>
> * I also notice the -d (--daemon) option to ./cruise start no longer
> works (server just dies).  I'd really like to see this fixed too,
> because it breaks the init script (daemon/cruise) on my servers.
> There used to be a bunch of hacked/pasted code in script/server which
> is now gone.  I debugged it for a bit but couldn't find it, probably a
> stack trace getting swallowed somewhere.  Here's the ticket for that
> one:  https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150/tickets/265-cruise-start-no-longer-works-with-d-daemon-option
>
> Let me know if you need any more info or help on these.

Jeremy Lightsmith
Coaching Teams & Creating Communities

312-953-1193
http://onemanswalk.com/ (blog)
http://facilitationpatterns.org/ (book in progress)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremylightsmith

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Bret Pettichord
Hey,

I just want to pipe in and let you all know that I've been thinking a bit about this email that Jeremy sent out over the past week. It is really a model of grace and, well, congruence. I'm reading QSM v3 right now and have been thinking a lot about such things. Sorry for the interuption. Keep up the good work.

Emails like this make me want to keep on lurking, even though my new team is using Hudson.

Bret

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Jeremy Lightsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Brian,

We definitely appreciate all the hard work you've been doing.  Thank you.

I did want to clarify one point though.  We have have set the expectation with our users that HEAD is a good, fairly stable place to point at.  We've told people to go to it if they wanted git support, or mercurial, for example.  And, with the ccrb team being so long between releases, many if not most people that use ccrb right now are using it from HEAD.  We've kept it pretty stable and tight for quite a while now, though granted we haven't made any huge changes in a while either.

It sound like from what you're saying, at this point it would be easier to go forward than back.  So, Chad, can we get those stack traces?  And, Brian, if you don't have time, as Chad gives us more info, or if it might be a few days before you do, can you let the list know so maybe one of us could look at it?

Again, this project has been barely alive for quite a while, and it's really great to see some new blood breathing life into it.  The team, and really,  the whole community, appreciate it,

Jeremy

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chad,

I've resolved the port 3333 issue and a separate issue related to some
work I've been doing with the Projects class that may or may not be
related to what you're encountering. As for reading your config file,
I haven't seen a stack trace with that so I'd appreciate it if you'd
send it along. I haven't seen the issue with ~/.cruise either.

Frankly I hadn't expected that too many people would be trying to
build against HEAD as it's not stable. TW doesn't give me any paid
time to work on this thing either so I'm what I can in the spare hours
I have. Keep bringing issues up and I'll do my best to resolve them in
a timely manner. And to answer your question, not only do I not see
any particular reason to roll back the merge, I've pushed enough
additional work since then that it would seem at this point infeasible
to do so. Let me know if you feel strongly about it.

Brian

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Chad Woolley<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many things broken:
>
> - does not create ~/.cruise
> - Blew up reading my config file, so I couldn't even start a builder
> - no longer runs on port 3333
>
> Basically, master doesn't even work.
>
> Is this gonna get fixed, or should we rollback this merge?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Chad

Bret Pettichord
Lead Developer, Watir, www.watir.com

Blog, www.io.com/~wazmo/blog
Twitter, www.twitter.com/bpettichord

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Bret Pettichord <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

I just want to pipe in and let you all know that I've been thinking a bit about this email that Jeremy sent out over the past week. It is really a model of grace and, well, congruence. I'm reading QSM v3 right now and have been thinking a lot about such things. Sorry for the interuption. Keep up the good work.

Emails like this make me want to keep on lurking, even though my new team is using Hudson.

Bret

Yes, I was very impressed as well.  I was thinking how to say the same thing tactfully (a skill in which I am sorely lacking), when Jeremy came up with that masterpiece.

Also, I just tried the fixes on the master branch, and they seem to work with a couple of exceptions (I'll note on the tickets).  Thanks everyone!

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Chad Woolley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also, I just tried the fixes on the master branch, and they seem to work with a couple of exceptions (I'll note on the tickets).  Thanks everyone!

Here are the remaining issues I found, I opened a new ticket:

https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150-cruise-control-rb/tickets/267-remaining-issues-with-rails-upgrade

Assigned ticket to Brian, but let me know if you need help.

Thanks,
-- Chad

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Brian Guthrie-2
Appreciate it Chad, I'll take a look. Many thanks to both you and
Jeremy for keeping the fire burning.

Cheers,

Brian

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Chad Woolley<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Chad Woolley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Also, I just tried the fixes on the master branch, and they seem to work
>> with a couple of exceptions (I'll note on the tickets).  Thanks everyone!
>
> Here are the remaining issues I found, I opened a new ticket:
>
> https://cruisecontrolrb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/9150-cruise-control-rb/tickets/267-remaining-issues-with-rails-upgrade
>
> Assigned ticket to Brian, but let me know if you need help.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Chad

Re: master branch is badly broken since rails 2.3 branch merge

Chad Woolley
I've fixed the problems (one was a non-issue), and closed the ticket.