how does gmail show new messages as they arrive

how does gmail show new messages as they arrive

fugee ohu
how does gmail make new messages appear in your browser as they arrive?

Re: how does gmail show new messages as they arrive

Hasan Diwan
Javascrpt? -- H
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 00:35, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how does gmail make new messages appear in your browser as they arrive?

If you wish to request my time, please do so using bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.

Sent from my mobile device
Envoye de mon portable

Re: how does gmail show new messages as they arrive

Rob Jonson
The rails way to do this (update page when stuff happens at the server) is ActionCable
https://guides.rubyonrails.org/action_cable_overview.html

It runs on websockets and allows the server to push information to the browser. Your javascript on the page then needs to know what to do with that information.

It is typically slightly more complex to host than a 'regular' site as you probably need Redis running.

On Sunday, 16 September 2018 08:34:38 UTC+1, fugee ohu wrote:
how does gmail make new messages appear in your browser as they arrive?

Re: how does gmail show new messages as they arrive

dave woodall
Rob, kudos to your insight and brevity to convert that question into a rails response.

Sincerely,

Dave Woodall

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Rob Jonson <[hidden email]> wrote:
The rails way to do this (update page when stuff happens at the server) is ActionCable
https://guides.rubyonrails.org/action_cable_overview.html

It runs on websockets and allows the server to push information to the browser. Your javascript on the page then needs to know what to do with that information.

It is typically slightly more complex to host than a 'regular' site as you probably need Redis running.

On Sunday, 16 September 2018 08:34:38 UTC+1, fugee ohu wrote:
how does gmail make new messages appear in your browser as they arrive?

Re: how does gmail show new messages as they arrive

Colin Law

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 02:51 fugee ohu, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does it matter if my rails app is an api app or not?

Define (in terms of models and controllers) in what way they differ.

Colin