[feature][ActionCable Javascript Package] Converting library to JavaScript from CoffeeScript

[feature][ActionCable Javascript Package] Converting library to JavaScript from CoffeeScript

Ryan Castner
Hello all,

I made a post on the issue tracker (https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/33331) and was directed here. My question is about the Rails actioncable library that is currently written in CoffeeScript, my question is as follows:

Is there a reason why this library is sticking to CoffeeScript?

I would be willing to re-implement the library in JavaScript if there are no major roadblocks. CoffeeScript was a great tool in its time, but today having the library be written in JavaScript would make things a lot easier for new contributors. I wanted to add two separate PRs to the library, adding dynamic authorization support, and supporting react native/vue native. However, having the library written in CoffeeScript poses more roadblocks for me because I now need to brush back up on a language that hasn't been in use really for a couple years.

I wanted to ask here first and make sure I am not going to be wasting effort, if there was some legacy reason or support issue that forces the library to continue to be in CoffeeScript.

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: [feature][ActionCable Javascript Package] Converting library to JavaScript from CoffeeScript

David Merrick
Hi Never used CoffeeScript as I prefer toi use javaScript even in Rails

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Ryan Castner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave Merrick

Tutor Invercargill

Website http://tutorinvercargill.co.nz/

Email [hidden email]

Ph   03 216 2053

Cell 027 3089 169

Re: [feature][ActionCable Javascript Package] Converting library to JavaScript from CoffeeScript

Josh Forbes
My understanding is that Rails was moving away from CoffeeScript and towards modern JavaScript. This seems like it would be a welcome addition.

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:28:18 PM UTC-4, Ryan Castner wrote:
Hello all,

I made a post on the issue tracker (<a href="https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/33331" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frails%2Frails%2Fissues%2F33331\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHPEXKi0a-8-l2Xyy0wda5gg20NFw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frails%2Frails%2Fissues%2F33331\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHPEXKi0a-8-l2Xyy0wda5gg20NFw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/33331) and was directed here. My question is about the Rails actioncable library that is currently written in CoffeeScript, my question is as follows:

Is there a reason why this library is sticking to CoffeeScript?

I would be willing to re-implement the library in JavaScript if there are no major roadblocks. CoffeeScript was a great tool in its time, but today having the library be written in JavaScript would make things a lot easier for new contributors. I wanted to add two separate PRs to the library, <a href="https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/33064" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frails%2Frails%2Fissues%2F33064\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH1YYUNuQ_1KOLsNa9kIi6bUMHbHQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frails%2Frails%2Fissues%2F33064\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH1YYUNuQ_1KOLsNa9kIi6bUMHbHQ&#39;;return true;">adding dynamic authorization support, and <a href="https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/33332" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frails%2Frails%2Fissues%2F33332\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGOpEkdo1WquxaVf15It4K8oKXxow&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frails%2Frails%2Fissues%2F33332\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGOpEkdo1WquxaVf15It4K8oKXxow&#39;;return true;">supporting react native/vue native. However, having the library written in CoffeeScript poses more roadblocks for me because I now need to brush back up on a language that hasn't been in use really for a couple years.

I wanted to ask here first and make sure I am not going to be wasting effort, if there was some legacy reason or support issue that forces the library to continue to be in CoffeeScript.

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: [feature][ActionCable Javascript Package] Converting library to JavaScript from CoffeeScript

Sachin Mudgal
+1
Javascript over Coffeescript