auto_link fails to handle tilda's (~) and markdown fails to handle acute accent (`)

auto_link fails to handle tilda's (~) and markdown fails to handle acute accent (`)

tansaku-2
Hi There,

So I was just having some trouble with auto_link and markdown.

Specfically auto_link was failing to handle urls with tildas in them (~)
e.g.

http://www.hawaii.edu/~name/index.html

and markdown couldn't handle an acute accent (`) e.g.

Hawai`i

It seems that acute accents (or backticks) in Markdown signify code
segments, and it seems there's an open ticket for this:

http://www.deveiate.org/projects/BlueCloth/ticket/24

However, regarding auto_link I found where I could fix this in
actionpack-1.11.0\lib\action_view\helpersTextHelper.rb

changing the following line:

([\w]+[=?&\/.-]?)* # url segment
to this

([\w~]+[=?&\/.-]?)* # url segment

I can see that there are a number of tickets relating to auto_link:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/search?q=auto_link&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on

However I am unclear how to submit this as a fix. Any guidance would be
greatly appreciated.

I'd also appreciate any pointers on how to run the TextHelper tests to
ensure I haven't broken anything else

CHEERS> SAM