Why are migrations called migrations?

Younes Serraj
A client just asked me why we call them "database migrations" and not "database alterations". It made me curious, so I'm asking you guys: why?

Re: Why are migrations called migrations?

Mehdi Farsi
It's because Database Migration (aka Schema Migration) is versionned.

So, we migrate (increment, decrement, etc..) from a schema version to another one.

Feel free to visit this Wiki page for further information:

Hope that helps..

Mehdi

Younes Serraj <[hidden email]>于2019年8月20日 周二下午6:13写道:
A client just asked me why we call them "database migrations" and not "database alterations". It made me curious, so I'm asking you guys: why?

Re: Why are migrations called migrations?

Ariel Juodziukynas
The term not just for Rails, schema migration is a database concept https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_migration

I'm not sure about why the word "migration" is used, but maybe you get somewhere reading database's theory or history.

El mar., 20 ago. 2019 a las 13:13, Younes Serraj (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
A client just asked me why we call them "database migrations" and not "database alterations". It made me curious, so I'm asking you guys: why?

Re: Why are migrations called migrations?

Jake Niemiec
>I'm not sure about why the word "migration" is used, but maybe you get somewhere reading database's theory or history.

Schemas change, the data migrates to the new schema.

Probably in reference to older databases for sites developed with the likes of Active Server Pages / Java Servelets / Dream Weaver / Java Beans where the actual site "data" had to be manually moved between databases.

Remember when sites would take a few days off and simply show "website under construction"?

image.png

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 1:08 PM Ariel Juodziukynas <[hidden email]> wrote:
The term not just for Rails, schema migration is a database concept https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_migration

I'm not sure about why the word "migration" is used, but maybe you get somewhere reading database's theory or history.

El mar., 20 ago. 2019 a las 13:13, Younes Serraj (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
A client just asked me why we call them "database migrations" and not "database alterations". It made me curious, so I'm asking you guys: why?

WarmlyYours
Jake Niemiec
P: (800) 875-5285F: (800) 408-1100
Tell us how we're doing and receive $25 off your next order

Re: Why are migrations called migrations?

Leandro Rodrigues
Very nice explanation! 👍😀