Validation with Aggregation

Simon Harris
ActiveRecord supports composed_of for value objects which is
fantastic but one thing that it doesn't seem to support (or at least
I am unable to find any documentation for) validation of the value
objects.

For example, given the following:

class Message < ActiveRecord::Base
        composed_of :sender, :class_name => 'EmailAddress'
        composed_of :recipient, :class_name => 'EmailAddress'

class EmailAddress
        attr_reader :name, :address
        def initialize(name, address)
                @name, @address = name, address

How can I best take advantage of Rails' validation, given that I'd
like to only specify the validation rules for EmailAddress once. The
validation rules might look something like:

        validates_presence_of :name, :address
        validates_format_of :email, :with => ADDRESS_FORMAT

I'm guessing the obvious answer is to create an email_addresses table
and use belongs_to but that seems (to me at least) a somewhat heave-
handed approach.

Regards,

Simon

--