Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Alain Ravet-2
Ezra

   >These all have to do with rails. just ignore  the threads you are
not interested in.

How do I know if I'm not interested?
If only people would always :
  - write meaningful and accurate subjects
  - start a new thread, and not hijack and existing one...

Alain

Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Alain Ravet-2
Ezra
  > just ignore the threads you are not interested in.

And if I'm only interested LATER, how am I going to find/retrieve the
info, in the tens of thousands of messages, many with useless titles?
A needle in a forest of hay stacks.

I'm afraid we must accept that
  1/ the archives are useless, because of the size
  2/ FAQs are the only viable solution.

And please note that I am 100% for forking the FAQ: I want a FAQ for
installation, a FAQ for MacOS, etc..

Alain

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Search engines are your friend. In addition to Google, there are at
least half a dozen decent open source search engines. There are swish-e,
lucene, namazu, estraier and hyperestraier that I have available in
Gentoo Linux, and there are probably others.

Now that I think of it, isn't there a port of lucene to Ruby?

And just about every reasonable email client has a built in search
engine, if you're not interested in external tools.

I've had the best luck with Namazu for my own personal search engine. It
comes configured out of the box for indexing PDF and Word documents,
while most of the others require some configuration to do that.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Abdur-Rahman Advany-2
ferret

> Now that I think of it, isn't there a port of lucene to Ruby?

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Right ... ferret ... thanks!! I think I'll download it and see if it can
do what Namazu is doing.

Abdur-Rahman Advany wrote:

> ferret
>
>> Now that I think of it, isn't there a port of lucene to Ruby?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com

RE: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Torben Wölm
What is wrong with forking the list? Many other projects have forked lists so what is the reason it cannot be done for this list?

Opening your mail client to see that more than 300 mails have arrived within the last 16 hours is ridiculous. Unless you have nothing else to do...

/Torben

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Michael Glaesemann

On Dec 16, 2005, at 16:36 , Torben Wölm wrote:

> What is wrong with forking the list? Many other projects have
> forked lists so what is the reason it cannot be done for this list?

Also, there is nothing preventing people from subscribing to more
than one list: novices who need help getting started and want to
follow what non-beginners are discussing can subscribe to two (or
three) lists, as can non-beginners who want to help out those just
starting out. It's only limiting or splitting the community if you
want to see it that way. Another way to look at it is focussing
resources to where they're best applied.

I think a well-maintained faq is also very helpful (along online
docs) for referencing people to, uh, frequently answered questions.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Thibaut Barrère
Hi,

what do you think of adding this list to gmane ? It helps a lot for the searches.

Thibaut

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Jan Prill
Hi, Thibaut,

just for your bookmarks:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails

as well as

http://www.ruby-forum.com

Regards
Jan

Thibaut Barrère wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what do you think of adding this list to gmane ? It helps a lot for
> the searches.
>
> Thibaut

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Thibaut Barrère
I had search before but could not find it... Which lead me to the false conclusion it was not there.

Thanks!

Thibaut

Thibaut Barrère wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what do you think of adding this list to gmane ? It helps a lot for
> the searches.
>
> Thibaut

Re: Re: Re: PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately).

Tomas Jogin
Splitting the list based on user "types" would be a bad idea, IMHO.

Instead, I'd suggest splitting based on topic, for instance: into
rails-support and rails-discussion

Regards,
Tomas Jogin