Re: Questions regarding architecture of a server-based image-processor deployed in ROR

Re: Questions regarding architecture of a server-based image-processor deployed in ROR

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
I'd be less concerned about the architecture than I am about providing a
"service" that has the potential to execute arbitrarily complex and
extremely time-consuming image processing algorithms on the server. How
will you defend the processor and the hosting company against this? Are
you charging money for this service and attempting to make a profit
doing so, or are you planning to give this away?

Douglass Turner wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm planning to deploy a hybrid 2D/3D visual fx and image manipulation
>engine as a server accessible via the Web. So you can send Flickr
>images to it for all manner of image trickery.
>My engine uses a little text-based language I devised that is parsed
>and a resultant image produced. The UI for this service collects the
>input image and associated params and passes the collection to my
>engine where an instance of my language is constructed, parsed, and
>resultant processed image returned to the user.
>
>My question regards architecture rather then any specif ROR technical
>issue. I am reluctant to wrap it in a Web service as the bulk of the
>functionality resides in the actual engine which is written in C++. Is
>there a happy middle ground between full blown Web service and
>old-school CGI style?
>
>Should I think seriously about making a Ruby binding (ala RMagick) or
>is that overkill?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Doug Turner
>mobile: 781 775 3708
>skype: dduuggllaa

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com

Re: Questions regarding architecture of a server-based image-processor deployed in ROR

Douglass Turner
Ed,

Actually my concern at this point is architecture, user experience,
etc. Your comment about arbitrarily complex computations presumes I
have not bounded those calcs. I have. The same goes for bandwidth
considerations.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from the ROR smarties out there.

Thanks,
Doug