Re: Investigating Unicode, Take 2

Joshua Harvey
Just an update:

I exchanged some emails with Julik and I'm going to try to get the
Unicode gem working on Windows. Once that's done, we'll package a
cross-platform gem of Julik's String-fixer (which relies on the
normalization methods in the Unicode gem). This will solve the most
egregious of the String problems at the source.

I also encourage people who need i18n in Rails to try my Globalize
plugin at http://globalize.diluvia.net, and to help out with feedback,
bug reports, patches, and advocacy.

Josh Harvey
http://shnoo.gr

Re: Investigating Unicode, Take 2

Wilson Bilkovich
On 12/23/05, Joshua Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just an update:
>
> I exchanged some emails with Julik and I'm going to try to get the
> Unicode gem working on Windows. Once that's done, we'll package a
> cross-platform gem of Julik's String-fixer (which relies on the
> normalization methods in the Unicode gem). This will solve the most
> egregious of the String problems at the source.
>
> I also encourage people who need i18n in Rails to try my Globalize
> plugin at http://globalize.diluvia.net, and to help out with feedback,
> bug reports, patches, and advocacy.
Aah, I just made a binary Win32 package of the Unicode gem.  Hopefully
I've caught you in time to prevent duplicate work. :)
I'm headed to lunch, but I'll put it up where people can get at it
when I get back.

--Wilson.

On 12/23/05, Wilson Bilkovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/23/05, Joshua Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Just an update:
> >
> > I exchanged some emails with Julik and I'm going to try to get the
> > Unicode gem working on Windows. Once that's done, we'll package a
> > cross-platform gem of Julik's String-fixer (which relies on the
> > normalization methods in the Unicode gem). This will solve the most
> > egregious of the String problems at the source.
> >
> > I also encourage people who need i18n in Rails to try my Globalize
> > plugin at http://globalize.diluvia.net, and to help out with feedback,
> > bug reports, patches, and advocacy.
> Aah, I just made a binary Win32 package of the Unicode gem.  Hopefully
> I've caught you in time to prevent duplicate work. :)
> I'm headed to lunch, but I'll put it up where people can get at it
> when I get back.

OK, I lied.. I'll put it up before lunch.
http://supremetyrant.com/ruby/unicode-0.1-mswin32.gem
..and here's the gemspec, since I'm new to this, and people can let me
know if I mangled anything up.
http://supremetyrant.com/ruby/unicode.gemspec

Built with VS.NET 2K3, the examples in the README all work for me via
the gem on WinXP SP2.

--Wilson.

Re: Investigating Unicode, Take 2

Wilson Bilkovich
On 12/23/05, Wilson Bilkovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/23/05, Wilson Bilkovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 12/23/05, Joshua Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Just an update:
> > >
> > > I exchanged some emails with Julik and I'm going to try to get the
> > > Unicode gem working on Windows. Once that's done, we'll package a
> > > cross-platform gem of Julik's String-fixer (which relies on the
> > > normalization methods in the Unicode gem). This will solve the most
> > > egregious of the String problems at the source.
> > >
> > > I also encourage people who need i18n in Rails to try my Globalize
> > > plugin at http://globalize.diluvia.net, and to help out with feedback,
> > > bug reports, patches, and advocacy.
> > Aah, I just made a binary Win32 package of the Unicode gem.  Hopefully
> > I've caught you in time to prevent duplicate work. :)
> > I'm headed to lunch, but I'll put it up where people can get at it
> > when I get back.
> >
> OK, I lied.. I'll put it up before lunch.
> http://supremetyrant.com/ruby/unicode-0.1-mswin32.gem
> ..and here's the gemspec, since I'm new to this, and people can let me
> know if I mangled anything up.
> http://supremetyrant.com/ruby/unicode.gemspec
>
> Built with VS.NET 2K3, the examples in the README all work for me via
> the gem on WinXP SP2.
>
> --Wilson.

Joshua caught a packaging problem, so I've fixed that and uploaded
another copy.  The require_path was set wrong.

Since this now seems to work, I'll see if I can make this a properly
cross-platform gem, that builds from source on real operating systems,
and includes binaries for Windows.

Re: Investigating Unicode, Take 2

Jean-Christophe Michel
Joshua Harvey a écrit :

> I also encourage people who need i18n in Rails to try my Globalize
> plugin at http://globalize.diluvia.net, and to help out with feedback,
> bug reports, patches, and advocacy.

Hi Joshua,

I'd like to talk with you of two big points:
1.a choice of lang (passed through uri : host.tld/lang/uri -> maybe
patch the routing system to implement a pre-routing of the lang ?)
1.b detect the preferred lang from the browser for the home page (when
no lang is received from uri)
2. Be able to use (and even maybe generate) well designed db schemas:

Prior trnaslation:

Table
=====
id
translatable1
translatable2
untranslatable

After globalizing:

Table                   Table_texts
=====                   ===========
id  <------------\      id
untranslatable    \---- table_id
                        lang
                        translatable1
                        translatable2
                        unique(table_id, lang)

I use this second schema here. It's more fine grained and allows for
different search schemes or indexing. But it needs a bit mor work to
make it work with globalize...

If you agree we need all this, direct me and I'll write all this.
--
Jean-Christophe Michel