Rails and Machine Learning implementation of Python or Ruby

Rails and Machine Learning implementation of Python or Ruby

Adrián Rama Aguilar
Hi everyone.!!

I'm working in a ROR app, which manages banks and I'd like to implement machine learning for predictions such as ip connections, number of transactions or number of sing in users by institucion in the app, so I've been reading about linear regresion, but most of the info or how to do it is with pyhton, so here comes my doubts to know if python modules can be implemented or how to do this implementation in machine learnig in Ruby at a ROR app. Thank you and I look forward to your contributions.

Re: Rails and Machine Learning implementation of Python or Ruby

Walter Lee Davis
Ruby will happily co-exist with python, if you want to "shell out" to that language, you can read the response back in and continue in Ruby. There are at least three ways to do this, from the humble back-tick ` operator to Open3 or the system call. And, hang on, there's Terrapin https://github.com/thoughtbot/terrapin to make this even safer.

Walter

> On Aug 16, 2019, at 11:53 AM, Adrián Rama Aguilar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone.!!
>
> I'm working in a ROR app, which manages banks and I'd like to implement machine learning for predictions such as ip connections, number of transactions or number of sing in users by institucion in the app, so I've been reading about linear regresion, but most of the info or how to do it is with pyhton, so here comes my doubts to know if python modules can be implemented or how to do this implementation in machine learnig in Ruby at a ROR app. Thank you and I look forward to your contributions.

Re: Rails and Machine Learning implementation of Python or Ruby

Jake Niemiec
> implement machine learning for predictions such as ip connections, number of transactions or number of sing in users by institucion in the app

Do you want to predict user growth over time? You may get further with predictive modelling rather than machine learning. (and with less pain)

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:34 PM Adrián Rama Aguilar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone.!!

I'm working in a ROR app, which manages banks and I'd like to implement machine learning for predictions such as ip connections, number of transactions or number of sing in users by institucion in the app, so I've been reading about linear regresion, but most of the info or how to do it is with pyhton, so here comes my doubts to know if python modules can be implemented or how to do this implementation in machine learnig in Ruby at a ROR app. Thank you and I look forward to your contributions.

Re: Rails and Machine Learning implementation of Python or Ruby

Walter Lee Davis
If you shell out to Python, you will have access to anything that Python has access to. I haven't used it in many years, so I don't know what that might be, but it would be the same as running your Python application raw in the native operating system, because that's what you're actually doing.

python your_program.py

vs

#! /usr/bin/env ruby

result = system 'python your_program.py'

There's really no difference from the point of view of the python program.

Walter

> On Aug 16, 2019, at 10:26 PM, Adrián Rama Aguilar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And it will be possible to use scientific libraries.??
> El viernes, 16 de agosto de 2019, 16:34:16 (UTC-4), Adrián Rama Aguilar  escribió:
> Hi everyone.!!
>
> I'm working in a ROR app, which manages banks and I'd like to implement machine learning for predictions such as ip connections, number of transactions or number of sing in users by institucion in the app, so I've been reading about linear regresion, but most of the info or how to do it is with pyhton, so here comes my doubts to know if python modules can be implemented or how to do this implementation in machine learnig in Ruby at a ROR app. Thank you and I look forward to your contributions.

Re: Rails and Machine Learning implementation of Python or Ruby

Colin Law
On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 14:40, Walter Lee Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you shell out to Python, you will have access to anything that Python has access to. I haven't used it in many years, so I don't know what that might be, but it would be the same as running your Python application raw in the native operating system, because that's what you're actually doing.
>
> python your_program.py
>
> vs
>
> #! /usr/bin/env ruby
>
> result = system 'python your_program.py'
>
> There's really no difference from the point of view of the python program.

Except that the environment (PATH USER etc) may well be different of course).

Colin

Re: Rails and Machine Learning implementation of Python or Ruby

Joe Guerra
Here's a good article on some basic machine learning with Ruby.

don't know what you want to accomplish, but this is worth a read.