New rails site. Beta testers need.

Steve Odom
Hi Rails List,

I need some beta testers for my new site: http://www.smarkets.net. This list is literally the first group to see it, so be gentle.

Smarkets is a prediction market for Amazon products. It takes Amazon products and turns them into a stock. The price of these "stocks" move based on the movement of its Amazon sales rank. If the sales rank goes up 10%, the price of the stock will go up 10%, for example. The goal is to make money trading the movements in these stocks.

It is best explained with an example. Here is the Agile Web Development with Rails book:
http://www.smarkets.net/product/detail/30

Here you'll see a sparklines graph of the sales rank of this book, its current sales rank 755, and the current smarket stock price  $7.14.  With the $10,000 you get for signing up, you can buy or short this "stock". If the sales rank moves up 10%, then the price of the stock will move up 10%. If the sales rank declines 10%, then the price will decline 10%. And so on.

There's also tags (of course) where you can group products together and compare them with other tag groups. For example, here is the Rails tag group:
http://www.smarkets.net/tag/view/41

On this page, if you click on the "compare" button and type in "Python" you can compare the performance of the Agile Rails book with some Python books I entered.

You can add new "stocks" to the system on this page:
http://www.smarkets.net/product/new

I am very interested to get feedback and ideas from you. Thanks for checking it out.

Steve Odom
http://www.smarkets.net

Re: New rails site. Beta testers need.

Ben Reubenstein
Nice looking site.  I will be sure to send you some feed back.

On 12/19/05, Steve Odom <[hidden email] > wrote:
Hi Rails List,

I need some beta testers for my new site: <a href="http://www.smarkets.net" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://www.smarkets.net. This list is literally the first group to see it, so be gentle.