Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Charles Oliver Nutter-4
As some of you may know, Codehaus is being shut down. As a result,
we'll need to migrate the JRuby lists to another service.

Given that the old lists are going to be nuked from orbit, I think
we're justified in transplanting the entire mailing list to a new
service without making people re-subscribe.

Tom and I think we should condense the "dev" and "user" lists into
one. There's not enough traffic to warrant separate lists.

I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?

We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
services are set to be shut down next month.

- Charlie

Re: Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Steve (Gmail)
Discourse?

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

blog: http://steve.stewdle.com/blog
twitter: @boberetezeke

On 4/14/15 10:06 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> As some of you may know, Codehaus is being shut down. As a result,
> we'll need to migrate the JRuby lists to another service.
>
> Given that the old lists are going to be nuked from orbit, I think
> we're justified in transplanting the entire mailing list to a new
> service without making people re-subscribe.
>
> Tom and I think we should condense the "dev" and "user" lists into
> one. There's not enough traffic to warrant separate lists.
>
> I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
> but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
> kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?
>
> We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
> services are set to be shut down next month.
>
> - Charlie

Re: Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

R. Tyler Croy
(replies inline)

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> As some of you may know, Codehaus is being shut down. As a result,
> we'll need to migrate the JRuby lists to another service.
>
> Given that the old lists are going to be nuked from orbit, I think
> we're justified in transplanting the entire mailing list to a new
> service without making people re-subscribe.
>
> Tom and I think we should condense the "dev" and "user" lists into
> one. There's not enough traffic to warrant separate lists.
>
> I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
> but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
> kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?
>
> We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
> services are set to be shut down next month.

We've had good success within the Jenkins project with Google Groups with one
caveat, it's important to nominate lieutenants to help manage the periodic
spammers and other membership management tasks that can come up during the
course of the mailing list.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3F51E16F

Re: Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Karol Bucek

+1 for Discourse ... of course there's caveats since there would need to be a dedicated installation somewhere ;(

... not to mention migrating existing messages/users might be "hacky" as there seems to not be an official way, but than again it's just Ruby :)

G shuts down services at will esp. ones without revenue (e.g. google code), and groups seems like it's stagnating so it's hard to tell it's future.

K.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:14 PM, R. Tyler Croy <[hidden email]> wrote:
(replies inline)

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> As some of you may know, Codehaus is being shut down. As a result,
> we'll need to migrate the JRuby lists to another service.
>
> Given that the old lists are going to be nuked from orbit, I think
> we're justified in transplanting the entire mailing list to a new
> service without making people re-subscribe.
>
> Tom and I think we should condense the "dev" and "user" lists into
> one. There's not enough traffic to warrant separate lists.
>
> I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
> but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
> kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?
>
> We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
> services are set to be shut down next month.

We've had good success within the Jenkins project with Google Groups with one
caveat, it's important to nominate lieutenants to help manage the periodic
spammers and other membership management tasks that can come up during the
course of the mailing list.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3F51E16F

Re: [jruby-dev] Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Ricky Ng
How is the Discourse email interface? I recall one of the counter
arguments against Ruby's list moving to Discourse was that the inline
replies didn't translate well to email.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:01 PM, John Joseph Bachir
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for Discourse. Perhaps it could be on their hosted service. Maybe they
> would be interested in doing it pro bono. Discourse is ruby and Sam Saffron
> is an MRI hacker, they might like the idea of helping JRuby.
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I prefer Google Groups
>>
>> Em 14/04/2015 12:08, "Charles Oliver Nutter" <[hidden email]>
>> escreveu:
>>>
>>> As some of you may know, Codehaus is being shut down. As a result,
>>> we'll need to migrate the JRuby lists to another service.
>>>
>>> Given that the old lists are going to be nuked from orbit, I think
>>> we're justified in transplanting the entire mailing list to a new
>>> service without making people re-subscribe.
>>>
>>> Tom and I think we should condense the "dev" and "user" lists into
>>> one. There's not enough traffic to warrant separate lists.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
>>> but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
>>> kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?
>>>
>>> We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
>>> services are set to be shut down next month.
>>>
>>> - Charlie

Incoherently,
Ricky Ng

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Ricky Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How is the Discourse email interface? I recall one of the counter
> arguments against Ruby's list moving to Discourse was that the inline
> replies didn't translate well to email.

This is definitely a key point. Google Groups is easy to manage (even
spam) and "It's Just Email", even if you use the forum interface.

I'm still leaning toward Groups. What are the reasons against?

- Charlie

Re: [jruby-dev] [jruby-user] Re: [jruby-dev] Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Chris Seaton
We still get a bit of very obvious spam on jruby-user every few weeks - but I think most of it comes from the ruby-forum integration. Perhaps we should reconsider that as well.

Chris

On 14 Apr 2015, at 21:43, Charles Oliver Nutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Google Groups is easy to manage (even
spam)

Re: [jruby-dev] [jruby-user] Re: [jruby-dev] Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Thomas E Enebo
I am inclined at this point with a slight bias towards google groups because we use it for JNR and a few other projects but I will look at Discourse since so many have mentioned it.

My larger view from managing this stuff is to try and consolidate all of this stuff down to as few instructions and moving parts as possible while not pissing off community members :)

-Tom

blog: http://blog.enebo.com       twitter: tom_enebo
mail: [hidden email]

mail: [hidden email]

Re: [jruby-dev] [jruby-user] Re: [jruby-dev] Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

Karol Bucek

... than of course I do not have any experience using it that way, just wanted to address the same kind of complains about it.
groups is fine esp. if "quick" migration is possible.

K.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 6:04 AM, christian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

keithrbennett
I'm in the Ruby Rogues "Parley" discussion group, and a couple of years ago they switched from Google Groups to Discourse.

There was a heated debate at the time.  Some people hated Google Groups because it wasn't open source and Google was not responsive in fixing bugs.  Others said that Discourse was not good on mobile phones.  Whether or not using it with email would really be convenient was questioned.

I can't speak for the others, but I stopped participating -- I don't remember the details, but either email did not work correctly or for some reason I did not get notifications; and I never seem to get around to logging in.

If I get a chance I'll post a message there asking for a retrospective on that decision.

- Keith

[...]

"Google Groups is abandonware, and there is NO way to extract posts from it if you decide you made the wrong choice. That's why we still haven't moved the pre-discourse archive into here."

...and...

"The thing that everyone seemed to dislike was that we couldn't be email-only when interacting with the discourse forum. At this point, the email features have caught up, so discourse is an excellent choice."

- Keith

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Keith Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mark Prins
On 14-04-15 17:06, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> As some of you may know, Codehaus is being shut down. As a result,
> we'll need to migrate the JRuby lists to another service.
>
> Given that the old lists are going to be nuked from orbit, I think
> we're justified in transplanting the entire mailing list to a new
> service without making people re-subscribe.
>
> Tom and I think we should condense the "dev" and "user" lists into
> one. There's not enough traffic to warrant separate lists.
>
> I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
> but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
> kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?
>
> We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
> services are set to be shut down next month.

Sourceforge provides mailinglists for projects using mailman including
archiving. It would require creating a project on SF and only create the
ML (and maybe remove the other items, it's been a while since i created
a new project on SF)

seems there already is a Jruby project on SF with mailing lists
configured.. catching only spam by the looks of it.