Is there a guide for using ERBSQL?

Jim Jeffers
I'm not sure I completely understand the benefits of using ERBSQL or how to use it.  Google searches have proved it to be rather undocumented.

From what I understand the embedded ruby sql allows you to write sql that's easier to deploy via the create_db script and also more portable to postgres, myslq, or whatever.

But what I can't find is a resource that explains the preset constants or how to configure them if need be.  For example the ERB that comes with the saltedlogingenerator for rails looks like this:

CREATE TABLE users (
  id <%= @pk %>,
  login VARCHAR(80) NOT NULL,
  salted_password VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL,
  email VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL,
  firstname VARCHAR(40) default NULL,
  lastname VARCHAR(40) default NULL,
  salt CHAR(40) NOT NULL,
  verified INT default 0,
  role VARCHAR(40) default NULL,
  security_token CHAR(40) default NULL,
  token_expiry <%= @datetime %> default NULL,
  created_at <%= @datetime %> default NULL,
  updated_at <%= @datetime %> default NULL,
  logged_in_at <%= @datetime %> default NULL,
  deleted INT default 0,
  delete_after <%= @datetime %> default NULL
) <%= @options %>;

From viewing the example I get the gist of how it works and what's going on but what if I just want to make a date field instead of a datetime etc. etc.  Also what if I want to use a different set of options for the table instead of the default ones generated by create_db.

Finally, I am using the following sql to signify my foreign keys but these statements create a syntax error when I run create_db:
constraint fk_pages_section foreign key (section_id) references sections(id)

Any advice or links to a guide on working with erbsql?  Also any advice as to how to signify the foreign keys the erbsql way?

Re: Is there a guide for using ERBSQL?

Andreas Schwarz-2
Jim Jeffers wrote:

> I'm not sure I completely understand the benefits of using ERBSQL or
> how to use it.  Google searches have proved it to be rather
> undocumented.
>
>  From what I understand the embedded ruby sql allows you to write sql
> that's easier to deploy via the create_db script and also more
> portable to postgres, myslq, or whatever.
>
> But what I can't find is a resource that explains the preset
> constants or how to configure them if need be.

Look into lib/db_structure.rb. That's where I put that file originally,
but the creator of the gem might have moved it somewhere else.

Anyway, you shouldn't bother with erbsql. Migrations are a lot better to
keep your db structure. You should find a lot on this topic with Google.