Is it possible without user_name & password Action mailer configuration in rails ?

Is it possible without user_name & password Action mailer configuration in rails ?

Prasanth Balan
Hi All,

I need to configure SMTP on production,My client only providing address, is that possible without user_name & password to configure SMTP ?

Re: Is it possible without user_name & password Action mailer configuration in rails ?

faktsonly
On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 3:27:31 AM UTC-5, Prasanth Balan wrote:
Hi All,

I need to configure SMTP on production,My client only providing address, is that possible without user_name & password to configure SMTP ?

What is your host? If you are using Heroku you can configure SendGrid starter and it will provide a username and password for the mail server it creates for you.

Provision SendGrid like
heroku addons:create sendgrid:starter
Then grab your environment vars with
heroku config:get SENDGRID_USERNAME
heroku config:get SENDGRID_PASSWORD

More information can be found here: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/sendgrid

To use the SMTP mailer you will need to setup an initializer class with something like the following:
So, in config/initializers/setup_mail.rb

ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp
ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
:address => 'smtp.sendgrid.net',
:port => '587',
:authentication => :plain,
:user_name => ENV['SENDGRID_USERNAME'],
:password         => ENV['SENDGRID_PASSWORD'],
:domain => 'heroku.com',
:enable_starttls_auto => true
}

 Create a mailer template and invoke from your controller of choice and you've got a working mail in production.

Is it possible without user_name & password Action mailer configuration in rails ?

Mike Simkins
Yes it is, although that implies no security, still, if the mail host is internal that can be acceptable, if the mail host is on the Internet, it will still work, but once people find out about an unauthenticatedcserver it will be abused

Re: Is it possible without user_name & password Action mailer configuration in rails ?

Prasanth Balan
Can you give me some reference configurations, please ?

my client only providing  domain name and address

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 1:36 PM Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes it is, although that implies no security, still, if the mail host is internal that can be acceptable, if the mail host is on the Internet, it will still work, but once people find out about an unauthenticatedcserver it will be abused

Thanks & Regards
Prasanth Balan
9943400291

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B074CQY6KB -- same service.. just on AWS. Worth a look.

Re: Is it possible without user_name & password Action mailer configuration in rails ?

Mike Simkins
You need to expand on ‘AWS Server’

Do you mean a VM running Linux and Sendmail/Postfix??

Do you mean the AWS ‘Simple Email Service’(SES)??

or something else ??

All the configs are different so....

On 8 Oct 2018, at 11:26, Prasanth Balan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike, Thank you for your reply,

 We want to configure Redhat Linux and Sendmail / Postfix

Please guide me how to configure via Postfix using my client mailer credentials (they're not providing user name and password)

Thanks & Regards
Prasanth

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 12:57 PM Mike Simkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It is all fairly well explained in the rails guides however:

If your mailer is on the same box as your web app use something like......

config.action_mailer.delivery_method = :sendmail
config.action_mailer.perform_deliveries = true
config.action_mailer.raise_delivery_errors = true
config.action_mailer.default_options = { from: ‘[hidden email]’ }

If the sendmail instance is running on a different box, then you have to use SMTP.

Delete the first line above (:sendmail), and replace with

config.action_mailer.delivery_method = :smtp
config.action_mailer.smtp_settings = {
port: 25, # might be 587
address: ‘mymailer.domain.com
}