[Feature] secrets.yml/credentials.yml.enc automatically in .gitignore

[Feature] secrets.yml/credentials.yml.enc automatically in .gitignore

Jennifer Parsons
Hi all,

I'm new so please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I noticed that `rails new` generates a .gitignore, but secrets.yml is not automatically added to it. I found this confusing and fortunately didn't add anything sensitive before I pushed my code up to git, but easily could have done so as a newcomer.

I see that credentials.yml.enc is coming in 5.2 and don't know if that changes the situation or not, but if not, it's something I propose as a change.

Would be interested to hear thoughts on why this isn't done be default already.

Thanks!

Re: [Feature] secrets.yml/credentials.yml.enc automatically in .gitignore

Kasper Timm Hansen
Hey Jennifer,

Welcome!

That confusing aspect of secrets.yml is exactly why we added credentials. See the motivation up top here: https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/30067

Den 19. apr. 2018 kl. 05.52 skrev Jennifer Parsons <[hidden email]>:

Hi all,

I'm new so please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I noticed that `rails new` generates a .gitignore, but secrets.yml is not automatically added to it. I found this confusing and fortunately didn't add anything sensitive before I pushed my code up to git, but easily could have done so as a newcomer.

I see that credentials.yml.enc is coming in 5.2 and don't know if that changes the situation or not, but if not, it's something I propose as a change.

Would be interested to hear thoughts on why this isn't done be default already.

Thanks!

Kasper