FXRuby installs broken on linux and Mac OSX

FXRuby installs broken on linux and Mac OSX

neillturner
 I have install instructions for my open source product that is written in Ruby and FXRuby that worked for windows linux and mac-os 2009-2010 time frame. see
http://ec2dream.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/EC2Dream%20Installation
 Unfortunately only the windows works now. It looks like FXruby 1.6.23 is broken on Linux and Mac. Has this been tested do we have instructions for install on linux and Mac-OS????
 I have spends literally weeks trying to get installation instructions that work on linux and mac osx....

thanks
Neill

Re: FXRuby installs broken on linux and Mac OSX

Douglas
You could try looking over the code for FreeRide which I think
installs a version of FXRuby with itself. And yes I am running a
debian linux and have installed FreeRide. I don't like it but that's
another story.
Good Luck. Linux tends to like Gnome and GTK better.
I have an FXRuby.zip at https://github.com/DouglasAllen/kitty_or_fox
But then I haven't used that for so long that it could just be
samples, I 'm not sure.

Douglas

Re: FXRuby installs broken on linux and Mac OSX

Lars Kanis
>  Unfortunately only the windows works now. It looks like FXruby 1.6.23 is
> broken on Linux and Mac.
Can you please post the output of gem install?

> Has this been tested do we have instructions for
> install on linux and Mac-OS????

https://github.com/lylejohnson/fxruby/wiki

Lars

Re: FXRuby installs broken on linux and Mac OSX

Alwin
I installed Linux Mint on my testing equipment. As far as I know is
Linux Mint a popular fork of Ubuntu.

Trying    #gem install fxruby
generates a failure. I'm a beginner with fxruby so I can only assume
there might be a problem with path finding. FxRuby on OpenBSD works
fine. But Linux and BSD use different paths:

Linux: /usr/bin/lib/ruby/....
BSD:   /usr/local/lib/ruby/...

Regards, Alwin

gem_make.out:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
        --with-opt-dir
        --without-opt-dir
        --with-opt-include
        --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
        --with-opt-lib
        --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
        --with-make-prog
        --without-make-prog
        --srcdir=.
        --curdir
        --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
        --with-fox-dir
        --without-fox-dir
        --with-fox-include
        --without-fox-include=${fox-dir}/include
        --with-fox-lib
        --without-fox-lib=${fox-dir}/lib
        --with-fxscintilla-dir
        --without-fxscintilla-dir
        --with-fxscintilla-include
        --without-fxscintilla-include=${fxscintilla-dir}/include
        --with-fxscintilla-lib
        --without-fxscintilla-lib=${fxscintilla-dir}/lib
extconf.rb:31:in `find_installed_fox_version': couldn't find FOX header
files (RuntimeError)
        from extconf.rb:133

Am Fr 11 Mai 2012 16:50:12 CEST schrieb Alwin:
> extconf.rb:31:in `find_installed_fox_version': couldn't find FOX header

You need libfox development headers installed. On a Ubuntu/Debian based
Linux distribution this should work (as described in the Install
section of the Readme):

   sudo apt-get install g++ libxrandr-dev libfox-1.6-dev

Lars