Docker

Joe Guerra
Just curious, I'm deploying to heroku now thru my github account but heard so many neat things about docker.

Can I create a docker container and deploy it to any service that supports docker (ie like AWS)?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Docker

Hassan Schroeder-2
On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Joe Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can I create a docker container and deploy it to any service that supports
> docker (ie like AWS)?

"Can I deploy a docker container to a docker service?"

Is there a universe where the answer to that would be no?

Or is there something more specific you're trying to ask?

Re: Docker

Robby O'Connor
very easily. https://lmgtfy.com/?q=rails+docker

There are so many resources.

On Thu, May 17, 2018, 1:52 PM Joe Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just curious, I'm deploying to heroku now thru my github account but heard so many neat things about docker.

Can I create a docker container and deploy it to any service that supports docker (ie like AWS)?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Docker

Mugurel Chirica
Hello Joe, to answer your question, yes.

I have recently started playing with docker and can tell you that it's quite straight forward and works well with Ubuntu 14 - 16, and here is the big picture.

You will create a Docker file and a Docker-compose file, and write a specific set of instructions of what to install on your image and what ports you will open etc.

My colleague has more experience and he set up the files etc, and I just ran the commands which worked well, but you can create all those with a good tutorial.
The same files and some variants of those will be used to create the image on production.

Using that setup you can develop locally, and then when you need you can deploy to something more general like AWS using their integrations, or something more specific like a hosting created for Docker only.

Give everything a try and find a few good tutorials to follow (there's also an on-line free version docker book) and see if you like it.

Cheers

Re: Docker

Robby O'Connor
This code is broken but: https://github.com/parkez/parkez-api

I did it in like maybe an hr or. 2.

On Thu, May 17, 2018, 7:17 PM Robby O'Connor <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the spam: here's the dockerfile: https://github.com/ParkEZ/ParkEZ-API/blob/master/Dockerfile

My Docker Compose file: https://github.com/ParkEZ/ParkEZ-API/blob/master/docker-compose.yml

Like I said, this is in an unstable state