Difficulty verifying site ownership for google search console

Difficulty verifying site ownership for google search console

fugee ohu
I tried DNS TXT record google-site-verification but GSC (google search console) says not found and says it did find an SRV record Yes the SRV records are there  but so what
Then I tried with a different method, the URL Prefix method where they gave me an html file to download and then I placed in my site's public folder but then when I try to verify GSC says timed out and when I try to visit the link in my browser it returns 403 If I place an html file in my public directory shouldn't it be available to the world?

Re: Difficulty verifying site ownership for google search console

Walter Lee Davis
Yes, all else being correctly configured, files in your public folder should be available -- as long as you have the exact file name. A file in the /public folder would be available at your.site/file.name (don't put the 'public' part in the browser path).

There is a setting in your production.rb file that governs whether you allow your Web server to host these files, or if they are to be served through Rails. I don't recall what the default is. If you have it configured to go through your Web server, then NGINX or Apache configuration will govern how these files will be hosted. If you don't have that enabled, then it should Just Work.

One last thing to check is the ownership and permissions of your public folder and its contents. The folder should be world executable, and the files within it should be world readable. At a minimum, 557 for the folder and 644 for the files.

Walter

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 5:47:11 PM UTC-4, Walter Lee Davis wrote:
Yes, all else being correctly configured, files in your public folder should be available -- as long as you have the exact file name. A file in the /public folder would be available at your.site/<a href="http://file.name" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ffile.name\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF-Zy_sR7WsL9c8j88Y_NA-0EM1xw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ffile.name\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF-Zy_sR7WsL9c8j88Y_NA-0EM1xw&#39;;return true;">file.name (don't put the 'public' part in the browser path).

There is a setting in your production.rb file that governs whether you allow your Web server to host these files, or if they are to be served through Rails. I don't recall what the default is. If you have it configured to go through your Web server, then NGINX or Apache configuration will govern how these files will be hosted. If you don't have that enabled, then it should Just Work.

One last thing to check is the ownership and permissions of your public folder and its contents. The folder should be world executable, and the files within it should be world readable. At a minimum, 557 for the folder and 644 for the files.

Walter

> On Aug 31, 2019, at 5:29 PM, fugee ohu <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Uo5XLy6ZBgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">fuge...@...> wrote:
>
> I tried DNS TXT record google-site-verification but GSC (google search console) says not found and says it did find an SRV record Yes the SRV records are there  but so what
> Then I tried with a different method, the URL Prefix method where they gave me an html file to download and then I placed in my site's public folder but then when I try to verify GSC says timed out and when I try to visit the link in my browser it returns 403 If I place an html file in my public directory shouldn't it be available to the world?

Sorry, it was permissions on the public folder that's all Thanks Walter

Re: Difficulty verifying site ownership for google search console

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 5:47:11 PM UTC-4, Walter Lee Davis wrote:
Yes, all else being correctly configured, files in your public folder should be available -- as long as you have the exact file name. A file in the /public folder would be available at your.site/<a href="http://file.name" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ffile.name\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF-Zy_sR7WsL9c8j88Y_NA-0EM1xw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ffile.name\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF-Zy_sR7WsL9c8j88Y_NA-0EM1xw&#39;;return true;">file.name (don't put the 'public' part in the browser path).

There is a setting in your production.rb file that governs whether you allow your Web server to host these files, or if they are to be served through Rails. I don't recall what the default is. If you have it configured to go through your Web server, then NGINX or Apache configuration will govern how these files will be hosted. If you don't have that enabled, then it should Just Work.

One last thing to check is the ownership and permissions of your public folder and its contents. The folder should be world executable, and the files within it should be world readable. At a minimum, 557 for the folder and 644 for the files.

Walter

> On Aug 31, 2019, at 5:29 PM, fugee ohu <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Uo5XLy6ZBgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">fuge...@...> wrote:
>
> I tried DNS TXT record google-site-verification but GSC (google search console) says not found and says it did find an SRV record Yes the SRV records are there  but so what
> Then I tried with a different method, the URL Prefix method where they gave me an html file to download and then I placed in my site's public folder but then when I try to verify GSC says timed out and when I try to visit the link in my browser it returns 403 If I place an html file in my public directory shouldn't it be available to the world?

Seems an error on google's end that prevents them from verifying via dns txt record They gave me 'google-site-verification=<string>" so I put 'google-site-verification' for host and the <string> for value in a dns txt record  but google doesn't find it