Branching records structure + "accordion" pages

Branching records structure + "accordion" pages

Philip Rhoades-2
People,

Mainly as a Rails learning exercise I have been thinking about
converting my plain HTML + JS "accordion" site:

   http://philiprhoades.org

to Rails to enable a faster and more general-purpose UI for adding new
pages and info.  What I would like is a branching tree structure of
accordion pages but I am trying to work out how this structure might be
represented in the DB . .

Comments about whether this is a sensible thing to attempt and how the
DB record structure might work are appreciated . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Branching records structure + "accordion" pages

David Merrick
Hi Philip I don 't think a DB for you navigation is going to solve your problem. I think you need to incorporate Bread Crumbs into your pages.

For example once you go to this page http://freezephil.org/ you have no way of getting back to the Previous Page or Home Page.

Cheers Dave

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 2:08 PM, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
People,

Mainly as a Rails learning exercise I have been thinking about converting my plain HTML + JS "accordion" site:

  http://philiprhoades.org

to Rails to enable a faster and more general-purpose UI for adding new pages and info.  What I would like is a branching tree structure of accordion pages but I am trying to work out how this structure might be represented in the DB . .

Comments about whether this is a sensible thing to attempt and how the DB record structure might work are appreciated . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Dave Merrick

Daves Web Designs

Website http://www.daveswebdesigns.co.nz/

Email [hidden email]

Ph   03 216 2053

Cell 027 3089 169

Re: Branching records structure + "accordion" pages

Philip Rhoades-2
David,

On 2018-05-05 13:10, David Merrick wrote:

> Hi Philip I don 't think a DB for you navigation is going to solve
> your problem. I think you need to incorporate Bread Crumbs into your
> pages.
>
> For example once you go to this page http://freezephil.org/ you have
> no way of getting back to the Previous Page or Home Page.
>
> Solution One https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_css_breadcrumbs.asp
>
> Solution Two uses Bootstrap
> https://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/components/breadcrumb/

Thanks for the quick response!  I will have a look at those links.

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades