Better translations organization

Júlio Campos
Can we discuss a better way to translate Rails documentation and blog posts?
It is so counterproductive that there is no option to display translations when accessing each documentation.
Could we follow the Ruby or React repository structure?

Re: Better translations organization

Matthew Draper

> Can we discuss a better way to translate Rails documentation and blog posts?
> It is so counterproductive that there is no option to display translations when accessing each documentation.
> Could we follow the Ruby or React repository structure?

If you’re familiar with the topic, or have at least looked into it a bit, perhaps you could summarise what those strategies look like, and their trade-offs?

From my own quick look at what those seem to be doing, I see how it would work to translate the rubyonrails.org marketing site, but not any of the documentation that lives in the main rails/rails repository (which includes the guides).

If there’s general agreement with a better solution, are you offering to make it happen?

(I have mixed feelings about translations of release-announcement blog posts in particular: improving accessibility is good, but if it means a seemingly-official channel will lag months behind reality...)

Re: Better translations organization

Xavier Noria
FWIW, we've discussed this several times in the past.

In the Rails code base, everything is in sync because the documentation is tighted to the software. A complete PR should ideally have code, tests, and docs. API and guides affected by the patch. A Rails release ships code and docs together.

We are not interested in officially supporting translations, because there is no way contributors can write in different languages. Docs would be left behind, and it is a matter of time that they are too out of sync.

That said, for people that are interested in doing the work, guides generation have a minimal support for locales. But that would be out of the development cycle of Rails, and not part of the official documentation.