Best OS for production self hosting

fugee ohu
I've been hosting my rails apps on freebsd Anyone have preferences which OS to host on?

Re: Best OS for production self hosting

Karthikeyan A K
Ubuntu! Its the most used one and I have had no issues.

Founder of Code Tribe https://is.gd/codetribe

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 6:15 PM, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been hosting my rails apps on freebsd Anyone have preferences which OS
> to host on?

If you're responsible for configuration and maintenance, use what
you're familiar with :-)

Otherwise, it depends on how/where you're deploying -- bare metal,
VPS, Docker containers -- and personal preference. particularly on
package management.

For instance, Alpine Linux is a very small image, good for containers.

The Amazon Linux AMI is RedHat-based -- if you like RPM/yum as
a package manager and use AWS, perfect.

Ubuntu uses the Debian package management system, and there's
a lot of documentation/examples available.

And then there's all the BSD- and Solaris-derived options. I vote for
trying them all :-)

Re: Best OS for production self hosting

Kim Shrier-2

> On Aug 4, 2018, at 6:15 PM, fugee ohu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been hosting my rails apps on freebsd Anyone have preferences which OS to host on?

I host all my Rails apps on FreeBSD.  I have been doing that since Rails 0.7, without any problems.

I prefer FreeBSD over any Linux distribution. In my opinion, Linux suffers from gratuitous change and bloat and is a pain to keep running properly.

Re: Best OS for production self hosting

Ralph Shnelvar
Re: [Rails] Best OS for production self hosting fugee,

My suggestion is to use an OS with a lot (most) of people using it. I use Ubuntu because I find it has a lot of support.

I don't know if Ubuntu is the most popular variant of Unix.

Ralph

Saturday, August 4, 2018, 7:15:28 PM, you wrote:

I've been hosting my rails apps on freebsd Anyone have preferences which OS to host on?

Ralph

Re: Best OS for production self hosting

John Sanderbeck
I've always used CentOS for my deployments. Never had any issues with it and have found help on any install question I have had.

Run NGINX web server with a Postgresql backend

John

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 9:15:28 PM UTC-4, fugee ohu wrote:
I've been hosting my rails apps on freebsd Anyone have preferences which OS to host on?

Re: Best OS for production self hosting

Rob Jonson
I recently switched from running my own Ubuntu server on Digital Ocean to letting hatchbox handle it.
They're a bit like heroku - except that they provision and manage a server on your choice of cloud provider (I use digital ocean) and you have full access to that server - so more flexibility and much cheaper.

I have found they have almost exactly what I need out of the box. Reddis, choice of database, nginx running http2 and https, sidekiq, action cable, etc

https://hatchbox.io?via=rob
(link gives me referral credit)

cheers,

Rob

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 20:15:28 UTC-5, fugee ohu wrote:
I've been hosting my rails apps on freebsd Anyone have preferences which OS to host on?

Re: Best OS for production self hosting

Robby O'Connor

Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, CentOS -- basically Linux and dockerize your application.