[ActiveStorage][Feature Proposal] Adding Support of Dropbox

[ActiveStorage][Feature Proposal] Adding Support of Dropbox

Ashish Prajapati
Hello Team,

I want to add the support of Dropbox to the ActiveStorage
I really hope that it will help lots of people those really need to consume dropbox as the storage option for their projects similar to other Cloud Storage Services.

Well, I have implemented this ability to support Dropbox with in the ActiveStorage in one of my Private Project but I want to make it publicly available so I am thinking to add this support directly to the
ActiveStorage module of Rails Project.

Team, Is it feasible to add the support of Dropbox to ActiveStorage  ? I am happy to raise the PR soon if It's good to go.

I am happy to have the views on it.

Thanks,
Ashish Prajapati
https://github.com/ashishprajapati

Re: [ActiveStorage][Feature Proposal] Adding Support of Dropbox

Kasper Hansen
Hey,

I think Active Storage has the amount of built in services we want. Akin to Active Job queues and Active Record databases, we don’t want every option directly but gems are cool!

So if you made an activestorage-dropbox gem on your account that would be sweet!

--
Kasper
On 10 Mar 2019, 09.32 +0100, Ashish Prajapati <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

Thanks Kasper,

Yeah, It's a great option and will be really great! I will definitely create activestorage-dropbox gem.

On 10 Mar 2019, 09.32 +0100, Ashish Prajapati <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="gtAL-YuwCgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">ash...@...>, wrote:
Hello Team,

I want to add the support of Dropbox to the ActiveStorage
I really hope that it will help lots of people those really need to consume dropbox as the storage option for their projects similar to other Cloud Storage Services.

Well, I have implemented this ability to support Dropbox with in the ActiveStorage in one of my Private Project but I want to make it publicly available so I am thinking to add this support directly to the
ActiveStorage module of Rails Project.

Team, Is it feasible to add the support of Dropbox to ActiveStorage  ? I am happy to raise the PR soon if It's good to go.

I am happy to have the views on it.

Thanks,
Ashish Prajapati

Re: [ActiveStorage][Feature Proposal] Adding Support of Dropbox

Ashish Prajapati
Hello Kasper,

I have completed the work of the Dropbox Support for Active Storage. And now, I released the gem activestorage_dropbox and it provides the capability to support Dropbox as a storage for Active Storage.

Dropbox Support for Active Storage - Official Gem [ Activestorage::Service::DropboxService ]
( Wraps the Dropbox Storage Service as an Active Storage service. )

gem 'activestorage_dropbox'

Thanks,
Ashish Prajapati

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 1:39:01 AM UTC+5:30, Ashish Prajapati wrote:
[...]

Seconded, congrats on the release!

Curious, why you're saying [Official] on RubyGems? It’s just a regular old gem and I don’t see what’s official about it https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox

Also a little annoying that the activestorage-dropbox gem name got squatted by someone else right after I had suggested it https://github.com/abhinavmsra/activestorage-dropbox

Happy maintaining! 😄

--
Kasper

On 7 Apr 2019, at 05.01, Jeremy Daer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Kasper, I am saying it (https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox) [Official] because someone else squatted the name `activestorage-dropbox` :-( at the same day when you suggested me to start working on it. So, I just used activestorage_dropbox name and calling it official so people will find the original one and will not get confused with the other one activestorage-dropbox ( I saw it and It's just a blank copy of gem. It's just for squatting the name activestorage-dropbox. )  I felt bit unhappy after seeing it :(

But, I did my job and I came up with activestorage_dropbox name (https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox).

Thanks

On Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 11:52:49 PM UTC+5:30, Kasper Timm Hansen wrote:
Seconded, congrats on the release!

Curious, why you're saying [Official] on RubyGems? It’s just a regular old gem and I don’t see what’s official about it <a href="https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;">https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox

Also a little annoying that the activestorage-dropbox gem name got squatted by someone else right after I had suggested it <a href="https://github.com/abhinavmsra/activestorage-dropbox" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fabhinavmsra%2Factivestorage-dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHtcQ6s5O9XFRnivJ8Oke-_Qf-nRA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fabhinavmsra%2Factivestorage-dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHtcQ6s5O9XFRnivJ8Oke-_Qf-nRA&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/abhinavmsra/activestorage-dropbox

Happy maintaining! 😄

--
Kasper

On 7 Apr 2019, at 05.01, Jeremy Daer <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="rpENBPiSBgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jerem...@...> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 14:34 Ashish Prajapati <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="rpENBPiSBgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">ash...@...> wrote:
[...]

I’ve sent an email to him and cc’ed you on it. Let’s continue privately and see if we can’t get the name.

Thanks again!

--
Kasper

On 7 Apr 2019, at 20.42, Ashish Prajapati <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sure.. Many thanks Kasper.

On 7 Apr 2019, at 20.42, Ashish Prajapati <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="9IFW9O2VBgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">ash...@...> wrote:

Kasper, I am saying it (<a href="https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;">https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox) [Official] because someone else squatted the name `activestorage-dropbox` :-( at the same day when you suggested me to start working on it. So, I just used activestorage_dropbox name and calling it official so people will find the original one and will not get confused with the other one activestorage-dropbox ( I saw it and It's just a blank copy of gem. It's just for squatting the name activestorage-dropbox. )  I felt bit unhappy after seeing it :(

But, I did my job and I came up with activestorage_dropbox name (<a href="https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;">https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox).

Thanks

On Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 11:52:49 PM UTC+5:30, Kasper Timm Hansen wrote:
Seconded, congrats on the release!

Curious, why you're saying [Official] on RubyGems? It’s just a regular old gem and I don’t see what’s official about it <a href="https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;">https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox

Also a little annoying that the activestorage-dropbox gem name got squatted by someone else right after I had suggested it <a href="https://github.com/abhinavmsra/activestorage-dropbox" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fabhinavmsra%2Factivestorage-dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHtcQ6s5O9XFRnivJ8Oke-_Qf-nRA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fabhinavmsra%2Factivestorage-dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHtcQ6s5O9XFRnivJ8Oke-_Qf-nRA&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/abhinavmsra/activestorage-dropbox

Happy maintaining! 😄

[...]

Thanks for your email. It worked and we got the name 'activestorage-dropbox'. I am also thanking Abhinav to help us in this.

I released the gem here :)

Kasper, I am saying it (<a href="https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;">https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox) [Official] because someone else squatted the name `activestorage-dropbox` :-( at the same day when you suggested me to start working on it. So, I just used activestorage_dropbox name and calling it official so people will find the original one and will not get confused with the other one activestorage-dropbox ( I saw it and It's just a blank copy of gem. It's just for squatting the name activestorage-dropbox. )  I felt bit unhappy after seeing it :(

But, I did my job and I came up with activestorage_dropbox name (<a href="https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Frubygems.org%2Fgems%2Factivestorage_dropbox\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEngTZv1Fm1DbwiOiLZsIA4OUjWCw&#39;;return true;">https://rubygems.org/gems/activestorage_dropbox).