AWS and hosting a Website

12

AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
I am currently running an AWS Cloud9 Web App with EC2.

I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?

Any Suggestions?

Cheers Dave

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

Hassan Schroeder-2
On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 11:20 AM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?

Unless you want to plunge into exploring container-land, what's wrong
with an EC2 instance and Route53 for DNS?

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

Walter Lee Davis

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 2:28 PM, Hassan Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 11:20 AM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?
>
> Unless you want to plunge into exploring container-land, what's wrong
> with an EC2 instance and Route53 for DNS?
>
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [hidden email]
> twitter: @hassan
> Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote

And once you have an EC2 instance, set up a separate static IP address in the EC2 control panel, which you can switch around to different instances, or assign to an Elastic Load Balancer if you want to stand up multiple instances of the same app on separate VPSs.

Walter

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
Hi so I can use EC2 store the Rails App and Route53 to manage the Domain Name?

Cheers Dave

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 8:28 AM Hassan Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 11:20 AM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?

Unless you want to plunge into exploring container-land, what's wrong
with an EC2 instance and Route53 for DNS?

Dave Merrick

Daves Web Designs

Website http://www.daveswebdesigns.co.nz

Email [hidden email]

Ph   03 216 2053

Cell 027 3089 169

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

Hassan Schroeder-2
On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 12:27 PM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi so I can use EC2 store the Rails App and Route53 to manage the Domain Name?

I'm not sure what you mean by "store" -- an EC2 instance is a server
that you can deploy your app on.

And yes Route53 is AWS's DNS management system.

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
I meant a place where I can run my Rails App from so its runs all the time.

Cheers Dave

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 12:48 PM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I meant a place where I can run my Rails App from so its runs all the time.

That's pretty much the definition of a server, eh? Though whether the
app runs "all the time" is at least partially up to you 😀

Best of luck!

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
How do you ensure it runs all the time?

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 9:55 AM Hassan Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 12:48 PM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I meant a place where I can run my Rails App from so its runs all the time.

That's pretty much the definition of a server, eh? Though whether the
app runs "all the time" is at least partially up to you 😀

Best of luck!

Dave Merrick

Daves Web Designs

Website http://www.daveswebdesigns.co.nz

Email [hidden email]

Ph   03 216 2053

Cell 027 3089 169

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

Phil Edelbrock

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 11:20 AM, David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am currently running an AWS Cloud9 Web App with EC2.
>
> I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?
>
> Any Suggestions?
>
> Cheers Dave

I use Heroku for my AWS Rails app and it's free (for my use).

Phil

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
Unfortunately Heroku doesn't store images etc.

Cheers Dave

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 12:56 PM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you ensure it runs all the time?

LOL, what's your uptime requirement and budget? Let's start here:

+ Do you have untested code in your app that could crash it?
+ Is your system configured to monitor your app and restart it when it crashes?
+ Is your system configured to notify you when it can't reliably
restart a crashed app?
+ Do you have monitoring in place to notify you when your app's unreachable?

Fix the ones you answered "no" to and then we'll discuss next steps
towards "all the time"  :-)

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

Phil Edelbrock

On Jan 26, 2019, at 3:42 PM, David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

Unfortunately Heroku doesn't store images etc.

Cheers Dave

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:51 AM Phil Edelbrock <[hidden email] wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 11:20 AM, David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am currently running an AWS Cloud9 Web App with EC2.
>
> I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?
>
> Any Suggestions?
>
> Cheers Dave

I use Heroku for my AWS Rails app and it's free (for my use).

Phil

Strange... I guess my site doesn't exist then. LOL.  Yes, Heroku stores images and such.  It is a AWS reseller.

Good luck!

Phil

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
Heroku use another provider like AWS to store images

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 4:15 PM Phil Edelbrock <[hidden email] wrote:

On Jan 26, 2019, at 3:42 PM, David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

Unfortunately Heroku doesn't store images etc.

Cheers Dave

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:51 AM Phil Edelbrock <[hidden email] wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 11:20 AM, David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am currently running an AWS Cloud9 Web App with EC2.
>
> I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?
>
> Any Suggestions?
>
> Cheers Dave

I use Heroku for my AWS Rails app and it's free (for my use).

Phil

Strange... I guess my site doesn't exist then. LOL.  Yes, Heroku stores images and such.  It is a AWS reseller.

Good luck!

Phil

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

Colin Law
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 at 20:56, David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you ensure it runs all the time?

By this do you possibly mean "How to auto-run the server on boot and
restart it if it fails?".

Colin

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 9:55 AM Hassan Schroeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 12:48 PM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I meant a place where I can run my Rails App from so its runs all the time.
>>
>> That's pretty much the definition of a server, eh? Though whether the
>> app runs "all the time" is at least partially up to you
>>
>> Best of luck!
>> --
>> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [hidden email]
>> twitter: @hassan
>> Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote
>>
>> --

> Dave Merrick
>
> Daves Web Designs
>
> Website http://www.daveswebdesigns.co.nz
>
> Email [hidden email]
>
> Ph   03 216 2053
>
> Cell 027 3089 169

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
Hi Hassan
All my code in my app is tested.
My system isn't configured to monitor your my App and restart it when it crashes.  But since I only have a few Websites monitoring wouldn't be a problem. If it crashed I would look at the the logs.
No to 3 and 4 But see 2.

Cheers Dave

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 10:05 AM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My system isn't configured to monitor your my App and restart it when it crashes.  But since I only have a few Websites monitoring wouldn't be a problem. If it crashed I would look at the the logs.

Then it won't "run all the time". The point isn't troubleshooting after
the fact, it's automating the processes to *keep it running*.

Also,
> All my code in my app is tested.

I have yet to see an app with really adequate tests, even ones that
your-choice-of-tool claims have 100% coverage.

But managed restarts and alerting address that up to the point of
needing to deploy redundant infrastructure.

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
Excluding My system isn't configured to monitor your my App and restart it when it crashes.  But since I only have a few Websites monitoring wouldn't be a problem. If it crashed I would look at the the logs.
What to I need set up in AWS to get my Website running all the time?

I would like to know how to do
+ Is your system configured to monitor your app and restart it when it crashes?
+ Is your system configured to notify you when it can't reliably
restart a crashed app?
+ Do you have monitoring in place to notify you when your app's unreachable?

With AWS Cloud as soon as you log out the Website stops running

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to know how to do
> + Is your system configured to monitor your app and restart it when it crashes?
> + Is your system configured to notify you when it can't reliably
> restart a crashed app?
> + Do you have monitoring in place to notify you when your app's unreachable?

Too broad to answer. It depends on the server OS, how you've set
up Rails (web server, app server), budget, etc. etc.

Do you have a current running EC2 instance, or is this brand new?

Re: AWS and hosting a Website

David Merrick
Yes I have EC2 instance but its on Cloud9

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 12:19 PM David Merrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I have EC2 instance but its on Cloud9

This Cloud9 thing isn't remotely relevant to this discussion.

You need to provision an EC2 instance of your own, configure it as
necessary and deploy your app to it. Those are the first steps toward
having your app "run all the time".

12