A question about dependencies

Brian Guthrie-2
CCRB follows an include-all-dependencies rule to make setup as simple
as possible. Just to clarify, does that mean that when we integrate
(say) a Twitter notification plugin that we also need to add the
Twitter gem to our list of gem dependencies, and vendorize it
accordingly? If so that's cool, it just sort of strikes me as odd. Of
course, the alternative--making the user provide and link their own
Twitter gem--is potentially a headache.

Brian

Re: A question about dependencies

Alexey Verkhovsky-2
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
CCRB follows an include-all-dependencies rule to make setup as simple
as possible. Just to clarify, does that mean that when we integrate
(say) a Twitter notification plugin that we also need to add the
Twitter gem to our list of gem dependencies, and vendorize it
accordingly? If so that's cool, it just sort of strikes me as odd. Of
course, the alternative--making the user provide and link their own
Twitter gem--is potentially a headache.

I don't think this would be a god idea. You'll soon end up vendorizing everything and the kitchen sink. Stuff like Twitter plugin is better off as separate addons.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky
http://alex-verkhovsky.blogspot.com/

Re: A question about dependencies

Brian Guthrie-2
That was my thought. Have you guys traditionally asked people to
maintain separate plugin repos in the past? I'm asking for two
reasons:

 - The GH account has a pending pull request for a Twitter plugin that
I'm thinking about how to integrate.
 - I've seen community requests for things like Twitter support and I
think it'd be nice to provide easy access to it.

Would it be worth considering maintaining a cruisecontrol.rb-contrib
repository that attempts to aggregate all of the add-ons, or would
that just become tricky to maintain from our standpoint? There's a
fair amount of infrastructure devoted to this in cruise_plugin.rb but
I'm not clear on how much is stuff we've written vs. inherited from
Rails' plugin installer, from which it seems (at first glance) to be
derived. Either way it would be good to keep a relatively painless
add-on process.

Cheers,

Brian

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Alexey
Verkhovsky<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> CCRB follows an include-all-dependencies rule to make setup as simple
>> as possible. Just to clarify, does that mean that when we integrate
>> (say) a Twitter notification plugin that we also need to add the
>> Twitter gem to our list of gem dependencies, and vendorize it
>> accordingly? If so that's cool, it just sort of strikes me as odd. Of
>> course, the alternative--making the user provide and link their own
>> Twitter gem--is potentially a headache.
>
> I don't think this would be a god idea. You'll soon end up vendorizing
> everything and the kitchen sink. Stuff like Twitter plugin is better off as
> separate addons.
>
> --
> Alexey Verkhovsky
> http://alex-verkhovsky.blogspot.com/
> CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]

Re: A question about dependencies

Alexey Verkhovsky-2
There is a -contrib project on RubyForge: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ccrb-contrib, and I just added Brian as admin there.
It is exactly the kind of thing you are talking about. So, I suggest migrating it to Github and adding the Twitter thingie in there. And just giving the plugin author direct commit rights to it.

--Alex

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
That was my thought. Have you guys traditionally asked people to
maintain separate plugin repos in the past? I'm asking for two
reasons:

 - The GH account has a pending pull request for a Twitter plugin that
I'm thinking about how to integrate.
 - I've seen community requests for things like Twitter support and I
think it'd be nice to provide easy access to it.

Would it be worth considering maintaining a cruisecontrol.rb-contrib
repository that attempts to aggregate all of the add-ons, or would
that just become tricky to maintain from our standpoint? There's a
fair amount of infrastructure devoted to this in cruise_plugin.rb but
I'm not clear on how much is stuff we've written vs. inherited from
Rails' plugin installer, from which it seems (at first glance) to be
derived. Either way it would be good to keep a relatively painless
add-on process.

Cheers,

Brian

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Alexey
Verkhovsky<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> CCRB follows an include-all-dependencies rule to make setup as simple
>> as possible. Just to clarify, does that mean that when we integrate
>> (say) a Twitter notification plugin that we also need to add the
>> Twitter gem to our list of gem dependencies, and vendorize it
>> accordingly? If so that's cool, it just sort of strikes me as odd. Of
>> course, the alternative--making the user provide and link their own
>> Twitter gem--is potentially a headache.
>
> I don't think this would be a god idea. You'll soon end up vendorizing
> everything and the kitchen sink. Stuff like Twitter plugin is better off as
> separate addons.
>
> --
> Alexey Verkhovsky
> http://alex-verkhovsky.blogspot.com/
> CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]

Alexey Verkhovsky
http://alex-verkhovsky.blogspot.com/
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]

Re: A question about dependencies

Chad Woolley
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Alexey
Verkhovsky<[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is a -contrib project on RubyForge:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ccrb-contrib, and I just added Brian as admin
> there.
> It is exactly the kind of thing you are talking about. So, I suggest
> migrating it to Github and adding the Twitter thingie in there. And just
> giving the plugin author direct commit rights to it.

Where on github should these live?

I think that each plugin should be a separate project on the
thoughtworks github account.  That way, we can granularly allow anyone
to be a collaborator on a plugin (and checkout, fork individually,
etc).

-- Chad

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Chad Woolley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where on github should these live?

I think that each plugin should be a separate project on the
thoughtworks github account.

I think the original motivation to keep it all together was so that it was easier to discover these things.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky
http://alex-verkhovsky.blogspot.com/
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]

Re: A question about dependencies

Chad Woolley
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Alexey
Verkhovsky<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Chad Woolley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Where on github should these live?
>>
>> I think that each plugin should be a separate project on the
>> thoughtworks github account.
>
> I think the original motivation to keep it all together was so that it was
> easier to discover these things.

Sure, it is fine for them all to stay in one project.  I guess there
are more reasons to keep them together than split them up.

Re: A question about dependencies

Brian Guthrie-2
Let's keep 'em together for now. If it starts to become ridiculous we
can always split everything up into its own project.

Brian

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Chad Woolley<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Alexey
> Verkhovsky<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Chad Woolley <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Where on github should these live?
>>>
>>> I think that each plugin should be a separate project on the
>>> thoughtworks github account.
>>
>> I think the original motivation to keep it all together was so that it was
>> easier to discover these things.
>
> Sure, it is fine for them all to stay in one project.  I guess there
> are more reasons to keep them together than split them up.

Re: A question about dependencies

Jeremy Lightsmith
I could imagine it working like this :

anyone that wants to author a plugin, forks ccrb-plugins, adds their plugin, and does a pull request.

we pull it...done.

Jeremy

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Brian Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Let's keep 'em together for now. If it starts to become ridiculous we
can always split everything up into its own project.

Brian

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Chad Woolley<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Alexey
> Verkhovsky<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Chad Woolley <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Where on github should these live?
>>>
>>> I think that each plugin should be a separate project on the
>>> thoughtworks github account.
>>
>> I think the original motivation to keep it all together was so that it was
>> easier to discover these things.
>
> Sure, it is fine for them all to stay in one project.  I guess there
> are more reasons to keep them together than split them up.

Jeremy Lightsmith
Coaching Teams & Creating Communities

312-953-1193
http://onemanswalk.com/ (blog)